Fear Of Flying

Minnie

I don't like flying and avoid going on planes unless I have to. A week on Monday I have no choice but to fly to Leeds/Bradford and as if that's not bad enough I've just found out that the plane is a 14 seater. Are these smaller planes any noisier or bumpier than the usual planes that would take you to Liverpool etc? I'm one of those mental cases who jumps at the slightest noise/bump on a plane. I'm sure some people will think I'm stupid but I feel sick at the thought of it and I probably have a week of sleepless nights ahead of me.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't like flying and avoid going on planes unless I have to. A week on Monday I have no choice but to fly to Leeds/Bradford and as if that's not bad enough I've just found out that the plane is a 14 seater. Are these smaller planes any noisier or bumpier than the usual planes that would take you to Liverpool etc? I'm one of those mental cases who jumps at the slightest noise/bump on a plane. I'm sure some people will think I'm stupid but I feel sick at the thought of it and I probably have a week of sleepless nights ahead of me.

Honestly?, well I think smaller planes are slightly noiser and they might be slightly bumpier, but nothing that significant. Some plus points though, I've found the smaller planes don't fly as high as bigger aircraft so your ears don't hurt as much or at all.

I know i'd rather be in a small plane (smaller the better, pilot has a lot more control) than a 80+ tonne jet...

You might find that because you can (presumably on a plane this small) see the pilot and that he's not looking panicked / strapping on a parachute that it makes you feel calmer.

I find reading Jon Denver's autobiography while quietly humming La Bamba is a good way to unsettle your fellow passengers, thus distracting yourself from your own fear.

I find reading Jon Denver's autobiography while quietly humming La Bamba is a good way to unsettle your fellow passengers, thus distracting yourself from your own fear.

Had to Google to work out the significance of all that.

Archived