Netgear Dg834g Router

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the same problem with the netgear DG834g when I moved it from being wired into the PC and PS3 upstairs, to just being wired to the ps3 downstairs (bigger TV for those late night frag fests!). I was under the impression that once the router was configured for the adsl coming into the house then it wouldn't matter where you moved it too ,within the house of course. Little did I know that moving the router from upstairs to downstairs would disconnect all the wireless apps in the house (2 laptops, Wii, DS and PSP all tested during this little experiment and no connections) plus not let me go online on the PS3 which was wired through ethernet. So it was back up to the spare room for me, where the router proceeded to test my will to live by totally blocking all the machines out for the next 2.5 hours. So I left it for a couple of hours, had a couple of beers and a strong "cigerette" and when I came back it was miraculously working again.

So online I go to track down a solution to this problem, only to find that there were plenty of others having this very same problem, but neither Netgear or Sony had any sort of solution. Moral of the story - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Oh, just wondering, does anyone know why PS3 doesn't accept the highest level of wireless encryption, WPA2/WPK2?

Homeplug Turbo 85mbs. These ones.

If you have them plugged into a 'computer' extension block with mains filtering, that would upset them - if the 'homeplugs' are directly in the wall sockets at each end, they should work without any problems if they aren't duff.

They might also be upset if you have X-10 lighting, or the adaptors that send a telephone signal through the mains wiring - if you have either of these, try unplugging both ends and re-testing the homeplugs.

• 1 year later...

Ive been running firmware 5.1.9 on my v4 since not long after release, upgraded to firmware 5.1.14 yesterday morning.

Everything was fine (wired & wireless connections), until I went on the xbox!

Connects to LIVE fine but when the games try to contact their online servers etc, nothing.

Reverted back to previous firmware now and all is well.

So if you play on xbox live dont download the latest firmware!

• 2 months later...

Ok, now you've probably already read that my new freebie router that I got from MT won't connect to my xbox 360 wirelessly. I've tried for a couple of days now and decided to say bollox to it, I'll buy a new wireless ADSL 2+ router.

Can anyone recommend one that will connect 2 pcs (hardwired) 3 laptops and my xbox wirelessly?

These homeplugs, would they still work if where the router is plugged in and connected, happens to be on a different electric ring than the room you want to use?

When the signal gets to the fuse box would it distribute it to the other ring?

If the ring is on the same phase, then you won't have a problem - it's unusual for a house to have 3 phase wiring (unless you have a large workshop / swimming pool / etc).

The homeplug stuff is great - I'm using a pair of Philips devices, only 11mbps - still a lot better than I get with wireless (cottage with thick stone walls).

Since this is on 2 threads I'll post it here too :)

DG834G - try: Disable Port Scan and DOS Protection

- ie ticking the check box and therefore turning it off.

in WAN setup and is notorious for false positives causing issues.

The way I have mine set up is:

DG834G v4 connected to ADSL.

PC wired to DG834G

2 x Laptop wireless to DG834G

1 x Wii wireless to DG834G

1 x PS3 wireless to DG834G

1 x Netgear WGPS606 (wireless print server) connected over wireless to DG834G

1 x Xbox 360 wired to WGPS606

1 x PSP wireless to DG834G

1 x Blackberry Bold wireless to DG834G

The WGPS606 was left over from another project and I couldn't be arsed to buy the wireless for the Xbox.

It all works a treat.

Do you mean child benefit or allowance as the American version of pocket money?

Do I have kids to claim child benefit for or give pocket money to?

Perhaps you think I'm younger than yourself and you are suggesting my parents purchased these items with child benefit paid to them for me or that I recieve a large amount of pocket money to buy gadgets?

Maybe your post is actualy helpful and I just missed it?

Well I got the homeplugs and quite frankly I don't think they're up to much at all. The connection fluctuates all the time from 69 down to 1 and then disconnects only to come back up again. Definately not very stable at all.

I might as well be on the wireless.

Suggestions welcome.................

Do you have any plugged into a surge protected power strip?? - These can cause problems??

Try plugging them straight into the mains socket on the wall & see how you get on.

• 4 months later...

I recently started getting NAT issues when two 360's were on live at the same time, I placed one in the DMZ and forwarded the ports to the second.

Both 360's have manually assigned IP addresses and I've reserved both of these and their MAC addresses on the router, thing is I'm still getting moderate NAT on the 360 in the DMZ any ideas?

Archived