Netgear Dg834g Router

Hi, I need some advice please techies

My Wireless Router is downstairs, hardwired into a pc. The wireless works fine to the laptops and my xbox anywhere in the house. Now occasionally I have to use the tele upstairs to play on my xbox 360 and I thought I know, to get a better signal I'll move the router next to the tele upstairs as well. Good idea I thought, the wireless signal will be better.

Not so, it won't recognise the DNS settings for some unknown reason when I move it upstairs.

Am I missing some thing here, do I have to move the pc that it's hardwired to upstairs as well or should it just work?

Another question, If I manage to get the router upstairs working, could I just hardwire the xbox into the router or would i need to move the pc as well?

I hope you can work out what I'm trying to do, and any advice as usual will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
to get a better signal I'll move the router next to the tele upstairs as well

Just a thought, but if you're putting the router next to the tele (literally) it might be that the tele isn't shielded and is causing interference. A couple of feet distance should be enough.

Manually set the DNS entries in the dashboard (can get them off your ISP's site, or tell us who's your ISP), grab a set of homeplugs

Manx Telecom is my isp. Those homeplugs are they just plug em in and they work type things? Has anyone tried them?

Q. What are Manxnet’s DNS settings?

A. Primary DNS = 195.10.102.11 and Secondary DNS = 195.10.102.12

Yes generally plug and go type things, some have the option of adding security on but that's normally an optional extra feature.

if you've moved the router is it through an adsl filter and the upstairs phone isn't filtered so it is actually getting the adsl signal ?

Does the router actually show it's connected to the internet with the indicators on the front ?

can you connect to the router with the admin password and look at the status to see if it's connected to the internet ok ?

as already stated, move it away from the tv or any other equipment to prevent electrical noise from affecting it

These homeplugs, would they still work if where the router is plugged in and connected, happens to be on a different electric ring than the room you want to use?

When the signal gets to the fuse box would it distribute it to the other ring?

Mine do. I got some second hand/brand new Comtrend 200mbps poweline adaters from ebay. I use them to stream video from my pc to my xbox 360. They connect at 90mbps according to the interface but the speed you will achieve will depend on the quality of your wiring. No more wireless drop outs and faster speeds than my 54g wireless.

These homeplugs, would they still work if where the router is plugged in and connected, happens to be on a different electric ring than the room you want to use?

When the signal gets to the fuse box would it distribute it to the other ring?

Should be fine if they're on a different 'ring' - as long as they are on the same phase coming from the DP you shouldn't have any problems.

Well I got the homeplugs and quite frankly I don't think they're up to much at all. The connection fluctuates all the time from 69 down to 1 and then disconnects only to come back up again. Definately not very stable at all.

I might as well be on the wireless.

Suggestions welcome.................

Archived