Feed The Birds

Hugs

I've got a conscience all of a sudden about feeding the small garden birds this winter. Perhaps I'm not so heartfelt as it would seem, but I don't want to feed the big buggers who seem happy on leftover chips and burgers :P:angry:

Does anyone else feed the small birds that visit their garden, and if so what with? And how do you deter the big ones?

I always throw out the bread crusts out for the birds as it seems a waste to just throw themaway, but the gulls always swoop in and scoff the lot bfore any smaller brids can get any <_<

My dad feeds the birds in their garden. He has an old half coconut shell hanging from a string so the bigger birds are too heavy to hang onto it, he fills it with wild bird seed mixed with bacon fat to keep it stuck in the shell.

We're no experts but have fed the garden birds for years in the colder months.

Peanuts in their wire mesh holders and mixed seed in plastic holders, plus crumbled cereal, bread or plain biscuits. Not too often though. You don't even need a garden!

In freezing weather we often put a shallow bowl of barely warm water too.

We've had lots of visitors. Robin, starling, chaffinch, great tit, blue tit, green finch and loads of other we have to look up when we see them.

If you've got a killer cat, maybe don't bother or put a bell on his collar.

If you've got a window you can sit at to eat breakfast, you'll be rewarded by an endless parade of birds early morning and evening.

Stop stocking the feeders and off they'll go! Very fickle are little birds.

Good luck

Remove the peanut sin the spring when there are babies about.

The RSPB's site has all the information you could want.

Good luck

Edited - forgot the cat bell thingy

I've been feeding them for a few years now. Feed them seed and high protien in the winter, just seed in the summer. Have a birdbath but they prefer the shallow end of the pond or the waterfall.

Agree with all Addie says, I tend to get my feeders, etc, from http://www.birdfood.co.uk/ and the food from the petshop at Tynwald Mills, although most pet shops seem to stock supplies as well

It's important not to feed when young birds are about - they need to learn how to find their own food, away from human help - plus

They are very easy prey to cats.

Cats are the biggest problem - once they know birds are being fed in a garden, they come from far and wide. You can put a bell on your cat, but not all the surrounding cats.

My advice is get a good quality .22 air pistol and a viscious streak....

Feed the birds - can't we get a group of pop stars together and raise lots of cash

It's Christmas time

there's no need to be afraid

at Christmas time

we hang up nuts and lovely seeds

and in our world of plenty

we can chuck out scraps

throw your bread crumbs around the garden

at Christmas time

But say a prayer

pray for the feathered ones

at Christmas time

it's hard, but when you're having fun

there's a garden outside your window

and it's a place of decking and fear

where the only food going

is nicked by callous gulls

and the Christmas bells that ring there

are from around the neck of cats

well tonight thank God it's them

instead of you

And there won't be berries on trees this Christmas time

the greatest gift they'll get this year is life

where nothing ever grows

no grain or insects go

do they know it's Christmas time at all?

Here's to you, raise a glass for everyone

here's to them, pecking soil that's frozen up

do they know it's Christmas time at all?

It needs a bit of work but I'm sure it would get to No 1.

My advice is get a good quality .22 air pistol and a viscious streak....

I'm tempted....

I've spent about £150 so far on devices to keep the little bastard from over the road out of my garden

Edit to add - like your Christmas decorations :D

We put spikes on top of the bird house when we discovered next door's cat had found a way to climb onto it via the shed roof.

The cat hasn't been up there since. It's like those anti-pigeon spike devices you see along buildings, except this actually works.

The worst thing for the birds isn't the cats though, they can be chased off and my cat sleeps all day and catches mice each night rather than the birds. What gets the birds quite often is the view from the front garden of the nice trees and other birds in the back garden. They think they can fly right through the house and THUD! into the window they go. They're usually ok after 30 minutes or so and fly off again but we do sit with them and make sure. I wonder if that's why people have net curtains. Not to catch the birds for pies, but to stop them from thinking they can fly though your house.

We only feed the birds in winter, we feed them simple things like bacon fat, bread and nuts and we're careful to put the food in places as safe as possible from cats and sh*tehawks. The problem is, as they get fed by people more they seem to become much more tame and therefore loose some of that natural fear birds have of anything that moves, even coming down to feed when lots of people are around. Try to scare them away a little if this happens, just to keep them on their toes.

Archived