Mark Kermode

Slim

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A Russell Brand podcast featuring Martin Clunes, wasn't there any drying paint available when you chose that entertainment option?

Walk a lot so listen to a lot of podcasts, the Brand one is funny as fook. You ever tried it?

A Russell Brand podcast featuring Martin Clunes, wasn't there any drying paint available when you chose that entertainment option?

:)

click Martin Clunes is to play Leonard Rossiter's part in a remake of the Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin.

How utterly boring, what a travesty.

(Travesty noun. an exaggerated or grotesque imitation, such as a parody of a literary work).

Still, I suppose as far as The Isle of Man Film Industry and half of the population are concerned, he's one of ours now.

Kermode sounds nothing like 'commode' - it rhymes with Mac Dhiarmaid / MacDiarmid / McDermott - the K is the hard 'c' of Mac (son) and in Classical Gaelic form the Dh sound of Mac Dhiarmaid is either not pronounced, or only as a faint 'y' sound.

The modern spelling is not that old - the older spelling 'Kermott' can be seen on many gravestones in Braddan and Marown. It means 'son of Diarmaid' who ,it is supposed, was the son of a Scottish king who became a follower of Collum Killey (St Columba) and subsequently a Celtic saint.

And, sorry, but Keyboarder does sound a bit like wanker to me.

And, sorry, but Keyboarder does sound a bit like wanker to me.

Just re-discovering the wonders of MF. Seems to me like KB has mellowed somewhat. Most of the posts I've seen have made sense (probably more than some of mine!) Has someone hi-jacked his user name? :huh:

The modern spelling is not that old - the older spelling 'Kermott' can be seen on many gravestones in Braddan and Marown.

I'm not arguing with the derivation nor prononciation (in fact see an earlier post of mine) however the last Kermott was recorded in a burial reg in 1824 and the spelling had been rare (basically used by one or two families or parish clerks) for a century before that, Arbory seemed to be its last 'resting place' from 1800 onwards - the spelling Cormode is noted in the wills from at least 1643 (and probably earlier but I havn't tracked back before then), Kermode seems to take over c. 1700 and becomes dominant by end of 18th C. (a variation Cormoad or Kermoad is seen from 1640 onwards but gives gave to the standardised Kermode by late 18th c. Kermott lingered on as a first name (a variant might well be the name Kermit given to President Roosevelt (and a well known frog)

The modern spelling is not that old - the older spelling 'Kermott' can be seen on many gravestones in Braddan and Marown.

I'm not arguing with the derivation nor prononciation (in fact see an earlier post of mine) however the last Kermott was recorded in a burial reg in 1824 and the spelling had been rare (basically used by one or two families or parish clerks) for a century before that, Arbory seemed to be its last 'resting place' from 1800 onwards - the spelling Cormode is noted in the wills from at least 1643 (and probably earlier but I havn't tracked back before then), Kermode seems to take over c. 1700 and becomes dominant by end of 18th C. (a variation Cormoad or Kermoad is seen from 1640 onwards but gives gave to the standardised Kermode by late 18th c. Kermott lingered on as a first name (a variant might well be the name Kermit given to President Roosevelt (and a well known frog)

I think you will find that there are a number of gravestones in Malew and Braddan - not sure of the dates, I thought mid nineteenth century, but I don't dispute a last burial record in 1824. Cormode is a completely different name - more common in Bride, the Classical Gaelic Spelling is Mac Thormod - son of Thormod. Thormod is a Scandinavian name that is a fairly common given name in the Western Isles, where people known as 'Norman' in English often go by Thormod in Gaelic. The surname Mac Thormod is rare in Scotland and the name Thormodson is not (as far as I know) a translation, but of Scandinavian origin. The original Thormod was the legendary progenitor of the MacLeod Clan of Dunvegan and Harris, known in Gaelic as Sìol Tormoid - 'The Off-Spring of Thormod'.

The MacLeod name itself is another of these Gaelic-Norse names, which in Manx is Corlett (add Ma to Corlett and you get something like the Scottish Gaelic pronunciation of Mac Leod).

The Lewis Clan MacLeod is known in Gaelic as Sìol Torcaill - 'The Off-Spring of Torquill' - Classical Gaelic spelling Mac Thorcaill of course leads to Manx Corkill / Corkhill.

• 2 years later...

Frances, on Aug 29 2008, 08:18 PM, said:

Freggyragh, on Aug 29 2008, 05:24 PM, said:

I know this thread is over two years old, but I just came across it during a search for my name.

I just wanted to let you know that the Kermott name lives on, but, I believe, only in the U.S. Our ancestor, William Kermott came from the IOM to Canada, and his children, the U.S., in the early 1800's. Several years ago my family came to the IOM to do some genealogical research and found some of the gravestones you mention. I'll attach a pic of some of them at the Old Marown Parish Church, (St. Runius.) It actually shows both Kermott and Kermode on the same stone.MemorialInscriptions.JPG

Archived