Mark Kermode

Slim

Thread about nothing

Like what's between your ears.

This thread has served to remind me just how much I loathe the majority of 'new residents' and their progeny.

Not all, by any means, but a major proportion of comeovers don't deserve to breathe the pure air here. Roll on the collapse of tax havens.

No doubt the admin of this 'comeover corner' web forum will give me a warning for this post but so what, it's well worth it.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooh look - Zombies.

Thread too intelligent for you?

Oh come on! It's an amusing harmless joke.

Acorn - can't see why the mods would warn you for a simple opinion, and it is a simple opinion, rather than abuse of individuals or libellous comments.

Ooh look - Zombies.

What a wonderful response to a pleasant, well-intentioned and informative first posting.

You really are pathetically ignorant MTP.

Your post is indeed informative and interesting, Mr Kermott, and thank you.

That didn't prevent me from laughing a little at the zombie comment from MTB.

What with all the 'Thrilleresque' hype around these days,and the little spooky ball thing in the corner of the picture....

Must just be my warped sense of humour.

I wonder if the different spelling is down to the people writing down what they heard when the immigrants arrived in America, I knew an American lady called Koyl who lived most of her life in Norway and she thought she was the only Koyl in the US !

(suppose it's like us trying to spell Polish names when we hear them !)

They have never been good spellers in the US :lol:

The change in the spelling is more likely to arrise on the Island. When an illiterate person was regeristing a birth or death, they would pronounce the name and then the registrar would write it down phonetically, leading to some variations in quite a small timeframe and the eventual adopting of that spelling to future generations.

It is possible to see different spellings within a persons lifetime, birth, marriage and death that is.

It is possible to see different spellings within a persons lifetime, birth, marriage and death that is.

anyone who has an interest in Manx genealogy is aware of this - eg cases of anglicisation of Boddaugh becoming Boyd, Mcylvorrey becoming Morrison etc

(+ the whole fraught issue of theloss of the Mac and Ine prefixes in the 16th/early 17th C.

Today's names standardised around the advent of universal education around mid 19th C - before this the parish clerk was the one who determined the spelling - it is possible to see the decline of the manx langauge here and also the one or two northern clerks who switched back into older styles against this trend.

anyone who has an interest in Manx genealogy is aware of this - eg cases of anglicisation of Boddaugh becoming Boyd, Mcylvorrey becoming Morrison etc

I've seen the opposite happen as well; where a non-Manx name is given a kind of pseudo-Manx form on the census. In particular, one of my ancestors was a McCausland, only to be recorded on one of the Douglas Census forms as 'Coslyn' (if pronounced with a heavy Belfast accent, you can see how the confusion arose).

(+ the whole fraught issue of theloss of the Mac and Ine prefixes in the 16th/early 17th C.

Reverting back to the Mac prefix and original (or supposed original) spelling for my own surname has been getting more and more tempting as I get older, more cantankerous and more easily amused by the idea of making life difficult for people trying to spell it.

VinnieMacK, thats not too hard!!!

Interestingly, in the Photo, on the first gravestone, it seems that the husband and wife had different spellings to their surname.

Looking through old records also seems to show a great disparity in age of death. Would seem that if you get into adulthood, you could go on into your 70's or 80's.

Frances, looks like isle-of-man.com may have a registration issue

they had a problem starting yesterday - I got in touch (as did others) - I'm off island at present and my connection via BT had been restored by midafternoon but catch with DNS problems as you know, is that good news travels slower than the incorrect rerouting - not sure what caused the problem tho, whether them or their hosting company

Frances, looks like isle-of-man.com may have a registration issue

they had a problem starting yesterday - I got in touch (as did others) - I'm off island at present and my connection via BT had been restored by midafternoon but catch with DNS problems as you know, is that good news travels slower than the incorrect rerouting - not sure what caused the problem tho, whether them or their hosting company

strange that http://isleofman.com works but not isle-of-man.com

Archived