First Footing

Hugs

OK, I forgot. Any ideas what I can use instead of coal? :blush:

I'm sure coal is for heat, so how about a candle/matches/wood (of which I don't have either)? I'm clutching at straws now.

I wonder how many of those who went out this evening remembered to leave their 'first footings' outside the front door for when they return? :unsure:

Well, from what little I read of it , I assume it's a Scottish tradition yes?

I'm English, so no, I have never heard of it before.

I wasn't being funny suggesting Google either, it just looked like there was a load of information on there.

I hope I didn't sound 'off' with you at all. I never intended it to be like that.

I would be surprised of anyone British now knowing of first footing. I'm not Scottish either, but was brought up with it. I was under the impression that all the Celtic nations follow this tradition.

My dad always used to go ouside through one door just before midnight and in a different door with coal, money and a Scotch at midnight. I don't think all celts use the different door technique, but the Manx do.

'First Footing' is a Scottish tradition as far as I know. I lived in Glasgow for quite a while. It consisted of being very drunk for 2-3 days with a big carrier bag full of drink and going round as many of your friends houses as you could manage. It could become a sort of mobile staggering party through the streets sometimes as more people tagged along to the next house. Great fun!

The only unusual old tradition on the Island that I knew of was that down PE and PSM they would sweep the four roads at midnight.

I have the piece of coal my gran gave my mum and dad in the first year in their own home, she died in 85. Luckiest coal I was ever given - I am the happiest person alive, I have GREAT friends a wonderful family and a bit of a job I really like - what more could you want? Happy Hogmanay to all ye Scots and Nollick ghennal as blein vie noa to the manx among you, and to the Manx (like me) who canny speak the gaelic, have a great new year and may 2005 bring you all the joy & happiness you truly deserve. (a double edged sword of sorts)

Two things

Firstly

first footing

WILL be taking place in my house tonight. I know it's Celtic, but actually thought (possibly mistakenly) that it was a Manx tradition.

Secondly

Happy Hogmanay to all ye Scots and Nollick ghennal as blein vie noa to the manx among you, and to the Manx (like me) who canny speak the gaelic, have a great new year and may 2005 bring you all the joy & happiness you truly deserve.

What an exclellent 'toast' well said

A Happy New Year to EVERYONE (even if I've disagreed/ignored/upset you during the last 12 months)

To paraphrase Dave Allen

'May all your hangovers be small ones'

May 2005 be MUCH better than 2004 for everyone.

Archived