2%

bluemonday

wish my mortgage was cheap as a bag of chips.... £1.20 for a house seems very reasonable ;)

It would seem that some lenders are saved by the small print, so even with a 'Base Rate-2%' tracker or something, the lent rate will not dip below some nominal value like +0.001 %

Judging from a friend of mine's house in Andreas, £1.20 was what they spent on building it, not to be confused with your mortgage repayments

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hardly, look at the Ozzy dollar vs the euro, or the Krona.

Which makes Australia and the UK prime tourism destinations for 2009! So what are the IOM Department of Tourism, IOMSPC and airlines doing about non-UK tourists coming to the 'cheap' IOM in 2009 - the reaction I got when I asked them (DoTaL & IOMSPC) was 'too bl**dy hard ". Let's not whinge about the value of sterling - let's take advantage of it!

PS: It would be great to be in a currency zone (Euro) where you can travel around without having to keep changing money because it is English, Scottish, Northern Irish, Manx, Channel Islands or Lundy Puffin Island Sterling. I used to love to offer to pay English people who grumbled about the euro with a Manx £1 note. When they stopped screaming I would say 'it's sterling, which you have just been supporting, so why won't you take it?' (The best I have had was 'we can't accept sterling notes unless they have 'sterling' written on them' - which happens to exclude BoE notes.)

• 1 month later...

I really don't think this is sustainable.

With tax receipts down and a big capital investment programme to restart the economy, the government is going to need to borrow massively. Who is going to lend to them?

And anway, bank rate doesn't need to come down. What's needed is lower credit card interest rates, and lower rates for business loans. Both are completely out of line with bank rate.

Rates up in summer is my prediction.

S

I really don't think this is sustainable.

With tax receipts down and a big capital investment programme to restart the economy, the government is going to need to borrow massively. Who is going to lend to them?

Lots, if they can offer a higher percentage.

Great. Punished once more for being prudent and actually saving money.

I may as well just riddle myself with debt like everyone else

In case you'd forgotten, savings pay interest while lending costs interest. Subtle difference, but you're still better off saving than borrowing until they start paying you to accept debt :)

Savers can currently often get better rates by moving funds to € Zone institutions. It might not be a great time to convert funds right now - then again sterling might sink even lower. Which goes to show the potential benefits of spreading the risks by being in the other currency.

Even here - there are still some okay fixed rate sterling deals if you look around. Sometimes they are not advertised and you have to ask them how much they will pay you over a fixed term at a money market rate. Probably still safer than having it under the bed.

Great. Punished once more for being prudent and actually saving money.

I may as well just riddle myself with debt like everyone else

In case you'd forgotten, savings pay interest while lending costs interest. Subtle difference, but you're still better off saving than borrowing until they start paying you to accept debt :)

If interest rates drop below 1% banks may charge people interest on their savings as they did in Japan when their rates were Zero. Japan pretty much stagnated for 10 years until they put the interest rates up again and it stimulated the economy.

Low interest rates simple encourage more borrowing and will make the problem worse in the long run.

If interest rates drop below 1% banks may charge people interest on their savings as they did in Japan when their rates were Zero. Japan pretty much stagnated for 10 years until they put the interest rates up again and it stimulated the economy.

What planet are you on? The BoJ's rate is currently 0.1%.

Low interest rates simple encourage more borrowing and will make the problem worse in the long run.

Or cushion the fall making the difference in saving some businesses or losing them all. With the G7 average base interest rate at 1.1%, what do you know that the worlds leaders don't?

Archived