If You Were Only Ever Allowed....

Trinity 23

I upgraded my (original rubber keyed) Spectrum from 16KB to a massive 48KB. Certainly the memory I bought (3rd party) went inside the machine.

EDIT: I've still got a Spectrum btw. Not my original machine -- but a Spectrum + which I was given a couple of years ago. I'm expecting it to be worth $millions by the time my descendants auction it at Christies.

Also a couple of years ago - I found my own original ZX Spectrum manual at 'Jurby Junk'. Complete with notes I had written in it back in 1982.

So what about cross platform games? GTA3 itself, which is it?

I've heard games called both video and computer, but never seen the line of discrimination drawn down the hardware they're played on.

So what about cross platform games? GTA3 itself, which is it?

I've heard games called both video and computer, but never seen the line of discrimination drawn down the hardware they're played on.

What made me think I was right in my previous post was the title of a videogame (or computer game :P) magazine called "Computer and Videogames" which reviewed games for PC and the various consoles. I don't know about the line between cross platform games, maybe you would refer to GTA 3 on Playstation as a videogame whilst if you owned it for your PC you would refer to it as a computer game. If you had it on both computer and Playstation then who knows?. This isn't something I've ever given much though to as you can probably tell :lol:.

What made me think I was right in my previous post was the title of a videogame (or computer game :P)  magazine called "Computer and Videogames" which reviewed games for PC and the various consoles.

Actually, C&VG was around a long time before home consoles and PC gaming. It sprung to life in the C64, Spectrum era and was strong in the Amiga/ST period. I might be wrong, but I don't believe they carried megadrive/nintendo reviews, although that's largely irrelevant as the magazine predated both of them.

Where I think the distinction lies, is in the way games are described on the two sides of the Atlantic. Americans typically refer to it as the videogame industry, while Europeans traditionally call them computer games. As C&VG was a worldwide distribution, they probably kept the dual title to avoid having to print two completely different versions, instead of essentially the same magazine with a few articles changed.

I always thought the term video gaming was a little strange. It's not as though you slip the old betamax in and start playing Tekken 4 is it like.

But refering to a ps2 title as a computer game isn't accurate either. Videogame fits the whole thing better than computer game for pc and console stuff.

The original definition of video game that c&vg used to use was that if it plugged into your telly it was a video game, if it ran on your computer it was a computer game. The lines are more blurred now that you have cross platform games and consoles that are computer like. Lets just call them 'games' eh? :)

Archived