Aer Arann Special Offer - Where's The Catch?

Bobbie Bobster

Aer Arann are offering 1.5 for 1 on gift vouchers purchased up to €500 before New Year's eve (It's on their main page at aerarann.com). Travel for up to 12 months with "no restrictions." And no "one voucher per person" restriction either!

This sounds like a giveaway of Hoover-esque proportions - can anyone see a catch?

Three possibilities:

1) you have to phone to redeem the vouchers - will there be a penalty for booking by phone (disguised as an 'online discount') that negates the value of the voucher?

2) Aer Arann is about to go bust.

3) Also, when can you book using these? Can you book straight away?

Apart from that it looks quite good. I would only buy them if I had definite plans to use their flights in the next couple of months, just in case....

Looks like a classic way of 'locking-in' customers for the year ahead and having access to additional cashflow in the meantime. The quid pro quo for that is a good deal for the customer.

Aer Arann are offering 1.5 for 1 on gift vouchers purchased up to €500 before New Year's eve (It's on their main page at aerarann.com). Travel for up to 12 months with "no restrictions." And no "one voucher per person" restriction either!

This sounds like a giveaway of Hoover-esque proportions - can anyone see a catch?

Nowhere in the T&Cs, or anywhere else, does it say that the vouchers are valid against ALL Aer Arran flights, and in payment of ALL fares.

It would therefore be quite possible for AE to designate some flights (the cheaper ones) as not payable by voucher.

It also smacks of desperation. If you get a voucher, use it quickly.

S

This does smell a bit of give us your money nowwwww quick quick quick.

and if we go bust soon tough cr4p. We have your money and you aint getting it back.

no doubt with the full backing of the isle of man government, i wonder how much they owe in tax??

I have to say that it does sound like a great way of bringing a shit load of cash in very quickly which makes me wonder why they have decided to launch it.

However, if you look at it logically all they have to do is put the price of their new year fares up by 50% to compensate so with the London City Flights coming on stream and no fare schedules published yet its likely a good way of selling what will be expensive premium priced routes and making them look slightly less expensive. It might cost you £300 return to LCY but if you pay with vouchers you can offset some of the crazy costs and they get the cash upfront.

Maybe I'm just being cynical so think I'll wait to see what their LCY fares and fare increase look like in the New Year; sadly by then its already too late to buy vouchers so I'm guessing I'm right.

I have to say that it does sound like a great way of bringing a shit load of cash in very quickly which makes me wonder why they have decided to launch it.

I think the first half of your sentence answers the second...

This does smell a bit of give us your money nowwwww quick quick quick.

and if we go bust soon tough cr4p. We have your money and you aint getting it back.

But if you buy the vouchers using your credit card then you'll be covered if they do go bust?

I think the first half of your sentence answers the second...

I spent 30 minutes on the web last night and didn't find anything at all reassurring about the operation :-(

The only good news is the temporary drop in oil prices.

Come back BA - please :P

I spent 30 minutes on the web last night and didn't find anything at all reassurring about the operation :-(

Perhaps you were searching on Air Iran not Aer Arann?

Thant's an idea - get Air Iran to take over the routes :-)

no doubt with the full backing of the isle of man government, i wonder how much they owe in tax??

Proof please :) or stfu as you are blaming the Government for everything

you'll see. and as the government are supposedly in charge, surely it's their fault.... ;)

Archived