Flybe

Tugger

We booked a return ticket for our boy on Flybe, but for reasons of illness he had to travel the outward leg of the journey earlier than planned (and in a hurry). So we bought another ticket for him. Then, because he didn't travel on the outbound leg, they cancelled his return flight. When we got to the airport and they told us this, the Flybe call centre was shut, so we had to buy him ANOTHER ticket, to travel on the same plane that we had already paid for him to travel on.

They now tell us that they won't refund the second fare. :angry:

What are we meant to do when our journeys on and off this island are dependent on these monopolies/near monopolies, and they treat you like this. Is it really justifiable that they should be paid twice for one journey. I can't understand how they can sleep at night - I hope all their directors die long, slow, painful deaths

I know you feel robbed, but that is a pretty standard terms and conditions issue - I presume you didn't tell them when you booked the new ticket and abandoned the outward leg.

As its medical there is a chance if you can get it to a level where the person isn't a terms and conditons spouting robot you'll get some leeway. Make sure you get a letter from the GP or whatever and keep writing letters - i would say your chances are 50-50 and depend on the mood of the person you write to.

Good luck, but it'll take some effort and writing skills. For a few 100 quid its worth trying for an evening or so to get it right!

As oppose to just booking a new ticket, why did you not just change the outward leg of the ticket you had. You would then have been able to still keep your return leg under the same booking. The cost of the change would have been 30 plus difference in ticket.

When you buy a return ticket, you don't buy 2 separate tickets, you buy one ticket for the whole journey, you use the same booking number for your return as you do your outward trip, therefore when you don't turn up or make the first out flight you automatically void the return part.

Personally, i don't think that a letter or the OFT will do anything. The terms and conditions of Flybe will state the rule that they have used to cancel the second part of the ticket, and the only governing body above that for rights regarding travel is the E.U.

However,

there is never any harm in trying, and if you do send a letter and have a positive result, then fair play to you, the chances are they will not refund you, but allow you a free set of tickets to fly again...

All the best

The other posters are all spot on. This is a pretty standard airline practice and many others do it too, not just Flybe.

Interestingly, Aer Arran don't. I recently had to cancel an outward leg to Dublin but they still honoured the return leg. I rang them beforehand to check this point and my flabber was almost gasted when they said they didn't subscribe to this practice.

I can see that they do it, it is their insistence on not refunding the second payment that is doing my head in. We would have been able to reinstate the flight, but Flybe's call centre was shut at the time we were at the airport. So Flybe's stance is "we like the fact that we have got your money twice over for the same person to travel on the same flight. By the way, go fuck yourself".

We would have been able to reinstate the flight, but Flybe's call centre was shut at the time we were at the airport...

That's why I think you might have a case with the OFT - their office was closed, you wanted to trade under the terms of your contract - and were unable to.

i.e. how can it be fair to be allowed to trade in only one area (buy a ticket) whilst not being allowed to trade in another area (reinstate a ticket) - thus giving the company an unfair trading advantage, simply by their selectively providing only one service out of two at the time the product you paid for was being provided.

I might have a crack in the small claims court anyway, just to cause them inconvenience

I would not waste your time/money, you will not win:

3.4.6 If you do not show up for any flight without advance notice to us, we will cancel your return or onward reservations

Full T&c's here.

The "real" low cost operators do not have this problem generally as they treat each flight independtly.

Talking of robbing bastards, looks like Ryanair may be charging for the lavvy at some future date. Waht next, a breathing charge?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7914542.stm

At least you can get much cheaper flights on Ryanair than FlyBe - IOM-Birmingham return £110, Cork - Stanstead €12. In all honesty are FlyBe that much better than Ryanair?

Talking of robbing bastards, looks like Ryanair may be charging for the lavvy at some future date. Waht next, a breathing charge?

At least you can get much cheaper flights on Ryanair than FlyBe - IOM-Birmingham return £110, Cork - Stanstead €12. In all honesty are FlyBe that much better than Ryanair?

Lol.

Flybe are of course the next best thing since sliced bread. They are providing "competition" to the skies over the isle of Man. At least until the other guy goes bust and then they jack the fares up.

Ahhhh capitalism. Great isn't it! :D

Charge per stone of body weight perhaps. It would'nt be too far fetched. Charging for toilets was unheard of before this anyway!!!!!!!!

Archived