Street View Uk

P.K.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7954596.stm

Google has removed dozens of photos from its new UK Street View service.

It is thought the pictures removed contained revealing images of homes, a man entering a London sex shop, people being arrested and a man being sick.

Awww... those of the kinds of thing that make it interesting!

It seems that the software that "fuzzed" the number plates and faces was less than perfect - well what a surprise! Here's one from Pragmatopian's post yesterday, this is a recognisable taxi driver not wearing a seatbelt. Come on Albert, this is right up your street (sorry).

It's not CCTV. They have vehicles driving round with an array of cameras on the roof, attached to a GPS. I know this as I asked the attractive young lady driving it why she was parked outside of our house.

The media reaction to this is depressing. Any mention of the fantastic technological breakthrough this is? Any talk about what a wonderful historic resource this slice of 21st century life will be? What about it being a fantastic educational tool that's allowed me to walk my kids down Times Square without travelling a foot. Any thing about how useful it is? I've used it already for scoping out the streets around our london office to find interesting place to visit next time I'm there, it's ace.

No, they give time to idiotic luddites who claim it's some massive infringement of privacy. Twats. I'd be delighted if I was captured and preserved for ever on street view, why do these tin hatters get so much air time?

LDV as pk says, it's a car, you can see it blurred out in the foot of the images, it uses the next image to fill in those blanks, very clever:

streetview-car.jpg

LDV as pk says, it's a car, you can see it blurred out in the foot of the images, it uses the next image to fill in those blanks, very clever:

Aah ok, I actually think I have seen one of those burning about Manchester City Centre not too long ago. I did wonder for the moment how the hell there could be a CCTV on every street, didn't make sense.

I couldn't agree more. Using this technology I was able to demonstrate to the missus how I came to have a "This Scene - Is The Cream - Of Manchester's Gay Clubbing..." flyer in my car. On finding it for some reason she wanted to know how it came into my possession...

• 5 years later...

Archived