Isle Of Man Makes The "whitelist"

Owen

All it means is there's no hiding from tax which is just as well seeing as the taxpayer will have to repay this $1trillion they're spending for us.

Personally I think we should have aimed for the Blacklist - there's gonna be tons of money pouring into Costa Rica, Uruguay etc. We should have gone for a slice of that! Sanctions? Pfftt Sorry we're not going to sell you McDonalds and Rapier missiles any more... ;)

Bout time Uncle Sam got his own house in order....

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The more I see of Tony Brown the more out of his depth he looks.

But surely running a small shop in a small town is more than adequate preparation for leading a finance orientated country in a financially challenging 21st century environment

Oh and having a fine set of whiskers worthy of a whole paragraph in a Dickensian novel.

That list seems to be like an enormous fudge... on grey list are "financial centres" and "tax havens"..... Macau and Hong Kong fudged to avoid upsetting China...

I notice that the "Vatican" does not appear on any list.

Do think that it is good for IoM though against its west indian and pacific island competitors....

That's because God hid it when no one was looking.

Clever... laundering money for Jebus. What does he need it for anyway? Isn't he dead?

The more I see of Tony Brown the more out of his depth he looks.

But surely running a small shop in a small town is more than adequate preparation for leading a finance orientated country in a financially challenging 21st century environment

Oh and having a fine set of whiskers worthy of a whole paragraph in a Dickensian novel.

"The man's face was thin and very pale; his hair and beard were grizzly; his eyes were bloodshot. The old woman's face was wrinkled; her two remaining teeth protruded over her under lip; and her eyes were bright and piercing. Oliver was afraid to look at either her or the man. They seemed so like the rats he had seen outside."

From that little known Dicken's sequel - Oliver visits Tynwald.

Personally I think we should have aimed for the Blacklist - there's gonna be tons of money pouring into Costa Rica, Uruguay etc.

:)

Seriously though, this is a vindication of the solid work which has been done over the past decade countering people who really did argue things not dissimilarly idiotic.

If the G20 govts have reached some sort of consensus based the OECD specifications, as seems to be the case, then this shows the good sense of understanding and responding to the original OECD criticism.

So definitely good news and nothing for anyone to be cynical about.

Clever... laundering money for Jebus. What does he need it for anyway? Isn't he dead?

I'm not sure. I didn't see it myself, only read about it in a book.

Surely this is the bare minimum we should expect from the Government. To fail to reach it would have been a major failure. Basically all the crowing is celebrating not failing spectacularly. But achievements have been few and far between for this lot so I guess they need to shout about this.

Surely this is the bare minimum we should expect from the Government. To fail to reach it would have been a major failure. Basically all the crowing is celebrating not failing spectacularly. But achievements have been few and far between for this lot so I guess they need to shout about this.

What do you want exactly?

I want a decent Government that does does spin doing their job into an amazing achievment, whilst hoping we won't notice the papable decline in the quality of life here during Brown's administration.

I want a decent Government that does does spin doing their job into an amazing achievment, whilst hoping we won't notice the papable decline in the quality of life here during Brown's administration.

You want a government to calibrate their failures and not their achievements? Why?

What decline in the quality of life?

"There's legitimate reasons for tax avoidance."

You don't say? It's insights like these that make you so valuable to have around.

There's still plenty of reasons you'd bank offshore, and in fact, there's many people who are forced to bank offshore because a tightening of anti money laundering regulations means they're not allowed an onshore account.

Plenty? Name 'em, Slimbo. This story about UK citizens being unable to open a UK account has been exposed as nonsense.

S

Archived