Tv Licence, Do I Need One For Bbc Iplayer?

Ruben

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Either way, it's clear as mud.

Here's a written response from TV licensing to say if you have a TV but don't use it for watching live TV, you should notify them in advance and could get a confirming inspection:

What if I only use a TV to watch videos/DVDs/as a monitor for my games console? Do I still need a licence?

You do not need a TV Licence if you only use your TV to watch videos and DVDs or as a monitor for your games console.

However, please notify us in writing that this is the case. One of our Enforcement Officers may visit you to confirm that you do not need a licence.

On the contrary, it's very clear. If you read them carefully, you will see that the 2004 reg's do NOT contradict what I wrote, and this is borne out by the letter you quote above.

There may be other later regulations or laws that DO over-ride the pertinent part of 2003 which I quoted, but I doubt it, because the letter above is presumably a reflection of the situation as it exists now.

You continue to pontificate on the law as though you knew something about it, when the reality is that you can't even read and make sense of a couple of paragraphs.

S

Is there no subject that you pair wont bicker about :rolleyes:

Not this one anyway. I don't think TV licensing clear cut, with contracticting acts, regulations and advice on the licensing page, simple as that. He can't tell me what I think :)

Is there no subject that you pair wont bicker about :rolleyes:

Not this one anyway. I don't think TV licensing clear cut, with contracticting acts, regulations and advice on the licensing page, simple as that. He can't tell me what I think :)

There are no contradictions. The parts of the 2003 Act which I quoted are confirmed in the letter you received. The 2004 Reg's are irrelevant to whether or not you need a licence to watch live television.

S

I agree with Sebrof

I have deliberately not quoted leaflets, which may be wrong, or the legal words, which may be difficult to get a grasp on, but their effect

There is no warrant power, but the niceman asking if you have a telly and hearing it blaring away or seeing it, (window,or if invited in) sort of stuffs you.

There are no contradictions. The parts of the 2003 Act which I quoted are confirmed in the letter you received. The 2004 Reg's are irrelevant to whether or not you need a licence to watch live television.

John, most people wont read the acts/regs, they'll read the guidance from TV licensing.

Sebrof, the 2003 act and the letter look like a contradiction to me. The 2003 act: "A television receiver must not be installed or used unless the installation and use of the receiver is authorised by a licence". The letter "You don't need a license for a TV if you're not using it to watch live TV".

I guess the point is, if you're not using it to watch live TV, it's not a TV reciever?

Still, when you add laptops, ps3's, PVR's and mobile phones now that are all able to watch live tv, it becomes confusing. I'm confused, the original poster is confused, the TV licensing 'do I need a license' page is confused. There's no doubt it's confusing. Take the 'excuses' page:

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/excuses.jsp

All refers to just having a tv, not using a tv for watching live tv.

I just pay my license :)

I guess the point is, if you're not using it to watch live TV, it's not a TV reciever?

Still, when you add laptops, ps3's, PVR's and mobile phones now that are all able to watch live tv, it becomes confusing. I'm confused, the original poster is confused, the TV licensing 'do I need a license' page is confused. There's no doubt it's confusing. Take the 'excuses' page:

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/excuses.jsp

All refers to just having a tv, not using a tv for watching live tv.

I just pay my license :)

As John Wright says, you have to refer to the law to be sure, because leaflets and letters could be wrong. In this case, the law is pretty clear, and the letter you received supports the law. Note that the law refers, quite deliberately, to a television receiver, not a television set. It includes, therefore, any device that can receive television broadcasts.

But you only need a licence if you use the device to receive live broadcasts. If you only use it to watch DVDs, you do not need a licence.

S

Edited to add: You need to read s.368 in conjunction with S. 363.

It's interesting though that whilst you are too skint to pay for a tv licence, you own a nice "big" tv and a ps3.

Circumstances change perhaps?

Its pretty simple really you either risk getting caught or pay, no other way about it, if you watch a bbc programme you should pay, simple.

ANY broadcast programme, not just BBC stuff.

S

If you have a TV which you only use to watch DVDs etc - it would be a good idea to scramble all the channels and make sure there are no wires attached to any aerials etc. If you can switch it on and immediately get a tv channel you'll basically have no defence.

Archived