Tesco Threat To Castletown - Headline ?

buggane

I nearly crashed me car at the ballasalla roundabout when i saw that headline.. .

I sh1t my pants thinking it was tesco threatening to stop online delivery to castletown !

They would never do that. Castletown and it's environs is the stockbroker belt

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What would i do without tesco online delivery - well would have too put up with the trolley rage of certain peeps - bad lane changing on tins lane, then there is the lets stop and chat brigade - who block an entire lane just at the top and cause mayhem for peeps going down it. losing the bloody kids in there - only too find the sods got there own trolley and stocked it with items they feel are more appropriate for them....

port erin , port st mary and ballasalla want to be backing up castletown here. Lets see Tesco take on the Southern massif!

Get stuffed! Castletown can look after themselves. There's more than enough thugs there to take on Tesco surely!

Given that Tesco sells everything these days from pet insurance, foreign exchange, clothing, electrical goods, mobile phones and surprisingly even groceries, why not get them to take over the IOMSPC so they can really dominate the place?

I'd rather have a Booths here - but I guess that will never happen. Tesco is very so so as a supermarket - the British Lidl but more expensive.

lets not forget that M&S have more stuff than tosco's, where is all the shit about M&S??? obviously chief minister arkwright is having a shit.

Notice a billboard outside 'IOM' newspapers on Saturday that said 'Tesco Threat To Castletown', anybody know what its about ?

..............and they're not just armed with Clubcards.

article-1132350-033DBCDA000005DC-699_468x701.jpg

Tescos takes online delivery threat seriously -

lets not forget that M&S have more stuff than tosco's, where is all the shit about M&S??? obviously chief minister arkwright is having a shit.

OK let's get Tesco to replace the IOMSPC on the Heysham run and M&S on the Liverpool one.

I don't have problems shopping in Castletown - it could be better, for example a nice bakery, a green grocers and a good fish shop but it ain't too bad. And all this in the lovely surroundings of the ancient capital of Mann.

IMO Tesco is a horrible place to shop and I try to avoid it as much as possible. May appeal to those who like shopping in chaos, so unto each their own.

Wonder if Castletown will get a boost from Callow's Yard?

PS: I like the idea of the Chief Minister serving me....not often you see an MHK serving the electorate....

OK let's get Tesco to replace the IOMSPC on the Heysham run and M&S on the Liverpool one.

I don't have problems shopping in Castletown - it could be better, for example a nice bakery, a green grocers and a good fish shop but it ain't too bad. And all this in the lovely surroundings of the ancient capital of Mann.

IMO Tesco is a horrible place to shop and I try to avoid it as much as possible. May appeal to those who like shopping in chaos, so unto each their own.

Wonder if Castletown will get a boost from Callow's Yard?

PS: I like the idea of the Chief Minister serving me....not often you see an MHK serving the electorate....

but castletown did have a fish shop, it closed, it probably had a bakery ( Mr B's not count? ) that went and i would suspect a grocers too. shopshite and co op and come along, robinsons is swallowed into shopshite and the postoffice is swallowed into the co op. it did have all you wish for,. but i guess they folded cos they weren't supported?? if tesco's really is as bad as people say, why is it so well supported that they want/need to expand to meet the demand??? IF the local shops could provide the choice at the same cost, people would shop local, but it can't, and people don't. perhaps if all towns had 'Mao' shops that sold exactly the same shit at the same price all the whiners would be happy cos you couldn't get something better or cheaper elsewhere? this rock is small enough to have ONE BIG fuck off hypermarket selling EVERYTHING with free buses to and from the towns to take you there. come back in 30 years, it may have happened. :o

but castletown did have a fish shop, it closed, it probably had a bakery ( Mr B's not count? ) that went and i would suspect a grocers too. shopshite and co op and come along, robinsons is swallowed into shopshite and the postoffice is swallowed into the co op. it did have all you wish for,. but i guess they folded cos they weren't supported?? if tesco's really is as bad as people say, why is it so well supported that they want/need to expand to meet the demand???

I used to use the fish shop cum grocery cum green grocery in Castletown. I agree that if people don't support local shops we end up with them closing and Tesco expanding. The facts are that a Tesco store in a town in the UK closes down 30-40 local shops - so the impact here is probably more as they impact on shops outside Douglas too.

In answer to why it is so well supported IMO it is because a lot of people couldn't care less about local traders, enjoy the challenge of pushing laden trolleys around, like battling in the aisle to get past gossiping housewives with young kids, delight in shopping in a dim warehouse-like structure, revel in the search for the missing last item that must be on one of the shelves somewhere in the store and are pleased to return to the car-park to find trolley scratches on their car and the bodywork dented when the neighbouring vehicle's doors were opened. Paradis-sur-mer... IMO a very avoidable store.

People shop at Tesco because they have been trained like Pavlov's dogs to do what they are told.

People shop at Tesco because they have been trained like Pavlov's dogs to do what they are told.

That's ridiculous. What's the stimulus? Far more likely that they can park their car and get everything they need in one go. And convince themselves that it's not a rip off.

That's ridiculous. What's the stimulus? Far more likely that they can park their car and get everything they need in one go. And convince themselves that it's not a rip off.

FT today - Tesco expected to be the first UK company to announce £3 billion annual profit.

IMO people have been brainwashed into thinking that supermarket shopping is wonderful - but I am old enough to remember what proper service in a shop was like (in Booths when they had a 'grocery counter' and before they discovered trolleys and stacked shelves). I think Tesco is one of the dreariest places on the Island and their carpark a threat to humans and cars alike.

FT today - Tesco expected to be the first UK company to announce £3 billion annual profit.

IMO people have been brainwashed into thinking that supermarket shopping is wonderful - but I am old enough to remember what proper service in a shop was like (in Booths when they had a 'grocery counter' and before they discovered trolleys and stacked shelves). I think Tesco is one of the dreariest places on the Island and their carpark a threat to humans and cars alike.

a bit like the 'vast majority' in the hillsborough thread, 3 billion profit?? but as a percentage of turnover what is it??? if they turn over 100 billion, then a 3 percent profit is not a lot really. i realise that is way over exagerated, but you get the point?? if you sell enough boxes of matches you could 'make' 3 billion profit. if they are getting a 'fair' return for their outlay then it shouldn't really bother us. on that note, i saw the cost of a 230/250? gram bar of cadburys caramel, and your maynards wine gums both in the 220's at a 'con'venience store,they are 20-25 percent cheaper in tesco's, wheres the rip off? or more precisely where's the value for money?? for a confection that will last a fatty like me 10 minutes, i'd rather buy 4 from tesco's than 3 from arkwrights for similar money. the community is just not prepared to spend more than necessary on goods to just to keep someone in business these days. back in the day good old Mr arkwright would be a pillar of the community providing a service. now mr arkwright is wanting to charge you 20-25 percent more for items, and not have the choice you now expect!! sad fact for shopkeepers is it's a buyers market, and with the advent of cars for all and people willing to travel out of their towns to shop ( to get more choice for less money ) arkwright is fucked. he earns less, he stocks less, he loses more customers.. big downward spiral into bankruptcy. i find it quite ammusing that bank and corrupt when emalgamated give you bankrupt! i wonder if that's how the word orriginated?? corrupt/conning bankers??

First uk company to make a £3bn profit in a year i doubt it maybe the first supermarket but back in the day of banks running wild they all used to make massive profits

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4293167.stm

RBS £7bn profit in 2005 where did it all go :)

Archived