Tyre Prices

Stu Peters

Just got a call from my wife who went to XXX to get a tyre fitted to a typical family hatchback. They told her we needed 2 tyres (we don't) and tracking and it's going to cost £200. I can get the same tyre from that site for £37.

Bloody thieves, pure and simple.

safety, you should always replace tyre's in pairs (both front or both rear), as under heavy breaking the old tyre on one side will have less grip than the new tyre on the other and so is quite likely to throw you into a spin

I know, we replaced a punctured front tyre with a new spare, meaning we had a new tyre on the front drivers side, and just needed a new one opposite it, and have a slightly worn one as spare. We only needed one tyre, despite the bandits saying otherwise. I told the wife to just get one, and they still charged her £120 for one tyre and tracking. There's no way of justifying £120 for one tyre for a family hatchback, even if you are a robbing bandit.

The front tyres on my red peril are getting a little 'slick' so I called my friendly neighbouring tyre dealer yesterday for a quote. Even though I need a high-speed rated tyre (guessing that anything else could invalidate my insurance) I'm not particularly picky about brand, as long as it's not a REALLY cheap and nasty Chinese lump. My bloke said he'd have to get them in (not a standard size) and they'd cost 'around £150-160 each'.

I mentioned that I'd had a look online and could buy two budget brands for that, and his response was that I'd still have to pay delivery and have them fitted - which he'd do for £20 per wheel. I guess he's got plenty of business at present as he didn't want time to check his prices...

I've just ordered two high-performance Avons (good British brand - I used to race modsports on their slicks) online HERE for the grand total of £160, including fitting at National Tyres on Derby Square on Wednesday afternoon.

I'll report back if it all goes horribly wrong (like the mandatory valve caps are £50 each) but I am optimistic and thought I'd share the good news - especially with anyone else on MF driving something that eats expensive rubber!

£150 each seems a lot of cash, especially if they are not high performance tyres. My 18" Pirelli P Zeros (rated Z) for my M3 cost £200 each. I always use Taylorclarke, never felt like i was being ripped off with them.

Update as promised.

Internet site helpline woman phoned me to say the tyres I'd ordered were out of stock, so would I accept a highly rated (and CHEAPER) alternative - so got a refund of over £20. Tyres should have been fitted on Weds but hadn't arrived, although they were in today and fitted this afternoon. Very black with deep grooves in them, which will take some getting used to...

So apart from advising that you add an additional day to that stated to allow for ferry delivery (the web sales people probably think IOM is mainland UK) I'm pretty impressed and will order a new set of back tyres from them next month.

I have always used tyre shopper and found them to be good apart from the added bonus that the tyres are noticable cheaper than national tyres and national actually fit them, but as you say , make sure you give a few extra days on booking them to be fitted as they give you on the website. The last time i used them i the tyres did not show untill 4 days after the day i had booked them to be fitted on the internet, tyre shopper nor national tyres called me to tell me and i had 2 wasted trips across the island.

I have always used tyre shopper and found them to be good apart from the added bonus that the tyres are noticable cheaper than national tyres and national actually fit them, but as you say , make sure you give a few extra days on booking them to be fitted as they give you on the website. The last time i used them i the tyres did not show untill 4 days after the day i had booked them to be fitted on the internet, tyre shopper nor national tyres called me to tell me and i had 2 wasted trips across the island.

After first trip,would it not have been a wise idea to phone first to check tyres were there? why would National call you to tell you tyres you bought online elsewhere were not there,surely looking after their own customers would be more important to them

Feck - cheapest I can find on that site is £229 for a rear tyre. I dread to think what the local dealer price is going to be

Well, its your own fault for buying a high performance penis extension.

When the masses revolt and we have a 50mph all Island speed limit your tyres will last forever :)

The masses are revolting enough already. And why suggest that someone who has a nice car is dickless - don't YOU have material things you're happy to spend an extra few quid on?

Thanks very much for this information - will keep it stored for the day when they need replacing. Apart from anything else it is a very handy comparison of price and makes.

After first trip,would it not have been a wise idea to phone first to check tyres were there? why would National call you to tell you tyres you bought online elsewhere were not there,surely looking after their own customers would be more important to them

because National get a cut of the money you pay for the tyres. also on the 1st trip to National on the Friday, they guaranteed they would be there on monday afternoon and just to turn up - they werent and did not arrive till wednesday.

because National get a cut of the money you pay for the tyres. also on the 1st trip to National on the Friday, they guaranteed they would be there on monday afternoon and just to turn up - they werent and did not arrive till wednesday.

hows that work then, how do thay get a cut of the money,

i thought if you brought them off a online site that its u doing the deal not national,

• 1 month later...

Archived