Pulse

Miss Take

I've measured my resting pulse rate a few times recently and it's been between 44 and 49. Normal resting heart rate for adults is apparently 60-90.

I've read around and don't think I should be worried. I do a lot of exercise, currently an hour or more about 5 days a week, which seems to be kind of enough to bring my pulse down to this kind of level - at least according to the interweb.

I don't feel ill and I've always had a slightly irregular heartbeat - probably 4 times a minute I get 3 slightly quicker beats in a row and then it goes back to the slower ones.

Blood pressure was fine when measured 2 weeks ago.

So unless someone wants to sow seeds of doubt in my mind I'm not gonna seek medical advice for it...

are you an athlete?

if not a heart rate below 60BPM is a indication that medical attention should be sought.

take comfort in the fact that your blood pressure is fine, a combination of low heart rate and low blood pressure are warning signs of Bradycardia, a condition that is linked to weakness fatigue and fainting.

still it wouldnt hurt to go and get checked out.

You're half dead :)

Only half! Bonus :)

There's a theory that we're all given so many heartbeats before the 'use by' date flashes into our brains and turns off the pilot light.

You'll live to 148 on that basis...

That's what I was thinking too.

on the morning of the E2E, mine was 39

the following morning it was more like 65 (bear in mind I was still bloated from indian takeaway, chocolate, crisps and beer - mmmm)

i reckon 5 hours of (hard) training a week over quite a few months could get you into the mid 40s. on the other hand - an adult with a resting pulse of 90 should go see a doctor. and maybe put down the wine glass and walk to to work.

on the morning of the E2E, mine was 39

the following morning it was more like 65 (bear in mind I was still bloated from indian takeaway, chocolate, crisps and beer - mmmm)

i reckon 5 hours of (hard) training a week over quite a few months could get you into the mid 40s. on the other hand - an adult with a resting pulse of 90 should go see a doctor. and maybe put down the wine glass and walk to to work.

49 last night and 46 today :)

I was marathon training until I did my heel in a few weeks ago. Since then I've been cycling like a maniac to try and keep my fitness levels up while the heel heals. I've not measured my pulse for nigh on a couple of years until the other day so it's probably been steadily going down as I've been upping the exercise. Makes me feel quite smug if truth be told.

Archived