[BBC News] Thieves damage 11 cars overnight

Newsbot

Apparently stuff getting stolen/vandalised on your car is classed as an 'annoyance' from the look of it.

I'd say it's a bit more than that. To plenty of people it's an expense they can ill afford that's not practical or cost efficient to do as an insurance claim, so you have to get your wallet out to sort out some light fingered arsehole's 'antics'.

Let's get some pitchforks & torches, then once the culprits are found, off with their hands!

It is eleven more CRIMES Mr chief constable, please don't brush these under the carpet with all the rest

of the percentages. you must think there are 80k total idiots on this Island. get the old prison up and running again you will shortly need it. Just look at the weekly stories in the three papers !!

Apparently stuff getting stolen/vandalised on your car is classed as an 'annoyance' from the look of it.

I'd say it's a bit more than that. To plenty of people it's an expense they can ill afford that's not practical or cost efficient to do as an insurance claim, so you have to get your wallet out to sort out some light fingered arsehole's 'antics'.

Let's get some pitchforks & torches, then once the culprits are found, off with their hands!

Cost me £450 over the last 3 years. Scroats the lot of them! All you get asked when plod comes out is, do you know what time and did you hear/ see anyone. Obviously not else they'd be in hospital if I had done.

I thought the IoM was bad for this kind of crap, but whenever I go 'home' the local rag is full of this too. Unfortunately I don't think a couple of ninja police/specials patrolling would have much chance of catching them in the act. Bigger fines methinks, to at least cover the repair costs.

[statement] The Howard League for Penal Reform believes that community sentences make a person take responsibility and live a law-abiding life in the community.

So working on that premise, the offenders should not go to jail, but are given community based work instead.

Personally, This does not repaint your car or the inconvenience and costs that you have to endure.

Is there another way of getting your money/time back from the 'culprats' sorry, culprits?

I know, but what do you do?

Wait a sec Manxy, community service does not repaint you car. But nor does sending people to prison. Either way the person whose car has been damaged is not indemnified by these punishments.

Some will argue the point that they should go to jail, but as you mentioned , it still won't pay for the damage.

So what is the answer? (shrugs shoulders)

I know, but what do you do?
Wait a sec Manxy, community service does not repaint you car. But nor does sending people to prison. Either way the person whose car has been damaged is not indemnified by these punishments.

Some will argue the point that they should go to jail, but as you mentioned , it still won't pay for the damage.

So what is the answer? (shrugs shoulders)

Well one way to do it would be to seize assets from thier houses and sell them to pay for the damage also take away half thier dole money each week to pay for it until it is payed off, hit the scum hard where it hurts i.e. in thier beer money or plasma tv no doubt bought knock off.

This kind of pond life represent a good case for reintroducing the birch.

They're not the kind of hard men who'd risk it a second time - or even a first time once they'd seen their mates being punished with it.

agreed :)

How do you know they won't do it again? That just means they got caught and punished one time. Doesn't make them think twice to do it again. Though let's not get into birching. I know it is the Isle of Man and difficult to get out of backward thinking, but let's concentrate on less medieval ways of dealing such problems.

I know it is the Isle of Man and difficult to get out of backward thinking, but let's concentrate on less medieval ways of dealing such problems.

Is it a problem? It's just someone breaking a law created by a govenment whose authority you do not acknowledge, enforced by a Police you despise. And isn't any property theft? Just leave them to it like a good anarchist, eh?

How do you know they won't do it again? That just means they got caught and punished one time. Doesn't make them think twice to do it again. Though let's not get into birching. I know it is the Isle of Man and difficult to get out of backward thinking, but let's concentrate on less medieval ways of dealing such problems.

Chopping their hands off would put them off I'm sure.

Archived