[BBC News] Thieves damage 11 cars overnight

Newsbot

Snip off a finger for the second or subsequent offence.

It's not enough that they can't get by without scrounging (more), and if they saw it happen once or twice to other people it'd shit them up enough to not bother.

Job done. ;)

I know it is the Isle of Man and difficult to get out of backward thinking, but let's concentrate on less medieval ways of dealing such problems.

Is it a problem? It's just someone breaking a law created by a govenment whose authority you do not acknowledge, enforced by a Police you despise. And isn't any property theft? Just leave them to it like a good anarchist, eh?

It is a problem. Because such objects are people's possessions. And no, don't leave them to it. Determine why it happens and try and prevent it.

It happens because people who are in a rage for some reason, most likely drunk, or are showing how skilled they are to their mates, are able to vandalise stuff with little chance of being caught. The way to to pay for the damage is to make those that are caught pay for it. So the fine should cover the FULL cost of the damage they did. And then the penalty of community service can be added. The fine could in fact be doubled, with 50% of the fine going to a fund like the criminal injuries compensation fund, if a general fund exists. I have no stats but would bet that most of those caught do not have to pay 100% for the damage they did!

I have no stats but would bet that most of those caught do not have to pay 100% for the damage they did!

I had two tyres slashed on my car a couple of years ago. There was also similar damage done to 5 other cars near mine.

The police left a note on my car - (obviously couldn't be bothered to have a quick check and call me).

When I called the police they told me they had caught the guy but don't hold my breath for any compensation as he was some out of work bum over here from Burnley - never heard any more so no idea what happened to him or whether he appeared in court??

When I asked the police about 6 months after the offence they wouldn't / couldn't tell me anything.

I had two tyres slashed on my car a couple of years ago. There was also similar damage done to 5 other cars near mine.

The police left a note on my car - (obviously couldn't be bothered to have a quick check and call me).

When I called the police they told me they had caught the guy but don't hold my breath for any compensation as he was some out of work bum over here from Burnley - never heard any more so no idea what happened to him or whether he appeared in court??

When I asked the police about 6 months after the offence they wouldn't / couldn't tell me anything.

I had similar to this across years ago, but we caught the guy in the act. We detained him until the police got there. The police then tried to arrest my brother in law by mistake, at which point the criminal tried to escape. Anyway, the police got him and he was actually imprisoned. When we asked about compensation for the damage he had done we were told "No. Since he has gone to prison he is seen as having paid his debt to society."

Bring back the birch!

It is a problem. Because such objects are people's possessions. And no, don't leave them to it. Determine why it happens and try and prevent it.

How do we do this then? Ask them nicely? You really do need to grow up LDV. You criticise everyone elses suggestions, bleating on about the fact that any punishment doesn't repair or pay for the damage, yet have NO idea or alternative suggestion as how to stop these people from re offending. You are getting rather boring.

I only criticise blatantly backward, offensive, and thoughtless suggestions, such as ones involving whipping people. Fining people makes a lot more sense! Though in terms of growing up, I mean of all the silly comments. There are people talking about birching here and you want ME to grow up? And yeah, you can ask them, why not? Offers insight in what is going on, it does seem to be a trend.

If you are interested in compensation and want some form of punishment then it is most sensible to fine them. End of. I said I thought this was the most sensible response.

But like I said, this is a trend. People keep trashing the cars. Why is it so common? Is it just pissheads doing it?

If you are interested in compensation and want some form of punishment then it is most sensible to fine them. End of. I said I thought this was the most sensible response.

But like I said, this is a trend. People keep trashing the cars. Why is it so common? Is it just pissheads doing it?

FFS! Sigh. It's common because when they do get caught, they hardly receive any punishment. Can you not grasp this?

They are simply dick heads fueled by a basic lack of intelligence or being pissed.

They should deduct the full cost of any damage, plus compensation to the distress of the victim, from their social.

If at the time of the offence they had been drinking then a pub ban is most appropriate - or if necessary a ban on buying alcohol - all the offies and pubs have a nice big folder with photos of those who are banned from buying alcohol - it would be funny just to see them having to beg their mates to buy it for them cause they got caught being total dicks.

Finally an injunction preventing them from coming within 50 yards of the place the offence was committed with a jail sentance if breached.

or even better birch the bastards

Archived