Curry Lounge

Higgy

I sampled the Curry Lounge on Friday for a very small takeaway for one. The gaggle of smoking diners on a temporary break from their gastronomic experience would have created an even more horrendous impression than they did had the wind not been so brisk. I was met at the counter by staff who, whilst very welcoming and friendly, appeared to be struggling with what must have been a very busy period. Not so much in the restaurant which was full but for a couple of tables, but at the telephone which rang incessantly and with priority over me.

I was eventually able to opt for a simple chicken biriani, hardly an order which would allow the proprietor to retire early, but a dish I am rather partial to. The promised twenty minute preparation time was an actual thirty plus minutes, but I was in no hurry. I don't live a million miles away from the establishment, but when I got the meal home it was tepid at best, both rice and vegetable curry. Luckily this doesn't bother me, and I wouldn't dream of reheating it, but I do know people who would find this unacceptable. The dish was very good. Lovely rice, tender and moist chicken, served with a mini omelette and a beautifully dry and hot blend of spices. My only complaint would allude to my distaste for biting down unexpectedly on whole cardamom pods. Much as I adore the flavour, I prefer the pods to be split open and the seeds dry fried and crushed. But that's just a small point. A couple of complimentary poppadoms were both welcome and delicious. I believe I noticed a sign indicating a bring your own alcoholic beverages policy, always a good thing. I look forward to trying out the restaurant with friends, and intend to do so very soon.

post-6293-1258985163_thumb.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...appeared to be struggling with what must have been a very busy period. Not so much in the restaurant which was full but for a couple of tables, but at the telephone which rang incessantly and with priority over me.

That happened to me (and a queue) in a Chinese take away on Saturday night. Luckily I brought my mobile phone with me, so I called in my order from the back of the queue.

(That's a lie - I didn't do it, but I did *think* about doing it so I'll pretend that I did because it makes a better story)

I'm off there for tea on Friday. Never been before and mighty looking forward to it now after all the comments.

Just remember it is bring your own booze - which makes it a bargain price wise

• 3 weeks later...

They have now started doing deliveries and I have to say the one we had last night was fantastic, good sized portions and well worth the money in value and taste, get the pickle tray as an extra, well worth the thirty bob.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys & girls i think taste of india near punch & judy is the best curry house on the island i,d recommend it to anyone you should try it it,s the proper indian by far

So how long have you been in charge of Taste of India, ;)

Hey guys & girls i think taste of india near punch & judy is the best curry house on the island i,d recommend it to anyone you should try it it,s the proper indian by far

And how long have you worked there?

Archived