Reciprocal Health Agreement

Theodolite

From Manx Radio report

It looks like we have someone over there fighting on our behalf.

From www.parliament.uk

Written Questions for Answer on

Tuesday 8 December 2009

Andrew Mackinlay (Thurrock): To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what discussions (a) Ministers and (b) officials of his Department had with their counterparts in (i) the Northern Ireland Executive, (ii) the Scottish Executive and (iii) the Welsh Assembly Government on the discontinuance of reciprocal health arrangements between the NHS and (A) Guernsey and (B) Jersey with effect from 1 April 2009; and if he will make a statement

Andrew Mackinlay (Thurrock): To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what discussions (a) Ministers and (b) officials of his Department have had with their counterparts in the Scottish Executive on the discontinuance of reciprocal health arrangements between the NHS and the Isle of Man with effect from 1 April 2010; and if he will make a statement.

Andrew Mackinlay (Thurrock): To ask the Secretary of State for Justice, whether he has had discussions with the Secretary of State for Health on the implications for the Isle of Man of the decision to cancel the reciprocal agreement between the NHS and the Isle of Man with effect from 1 April 2010; and if he will make a statement.

Andrew Mackinlay (Thurrock): To ask the Secretary of State for Justice, whether he had discussions with the Secretary of State for Health on the implications for (a) Jersey and (b) Guernsey of the cancellation of the reciprocal agreement between each island and the NHS from 1 April 2009 prior to the decision to cancel the agreement; and if he will make a statement.

To be fair, it looks like Andrew Mackinlay MP for Thurrock, is also fighting in the corner for our ginger cousins Guernsey and Jersey.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He seems to be making more of an effort than our politicians!

What are our lot debating? - the price of fecking milk in the Co-Op! :angry:

And quite what would another debate in Tynwald achieve? If the motion was put forward, by the council of ministers that we should continue to fight, it would be passed with only one dissenter. I presume PK would dissent on principle if the motion was presented by the Government. So a motion gets passed and debated on the matter in the IoM but uless the UK changes its mind a debate in the IoM will make eff all difference.

Governments have changed their minds previously about things. That's what press campaigns and lobbyists are for.

The IOM might not be part of the UK (which is basically just an historical anomaly) but it has been under the crown in its various forms for almost 1000 years. People here have rights in the UK and the right to be well represented in London.

+ there is always particular sympathy for ex military etc. If Joanna Lumley lived here this would all have been sorted out ages ago.

He seems to be making more of an effort than our politicians!

What are our lot debating? - the price of fecking milk in the Co-Op! :angry:

Yes they do seem to have given up on this one with nary a squeak.

Rabbits in headlights again.

I had the pleasure of talking to Andrew Mackinlay on the phone last Friday, he is determined that this can be changed, and one of the ways is everyone here must get their relatives and friends across to contact their MP and tell them what is happening, most MPs don't know it has happened they where never told. Andrew Mackinlay only found out last month during a chance conversation. There is no point in civil servants here talking to civil servants there, it gets you nowhere.

I see the IOM Government is finally doing something about the problem. It is underwriting the health insurance costs of people from the UK attending a CAMRA * conference on the island next year. So that's that sorted then.

*Campaign For Real Ale

Is it just me that finds Tony Brown's link to CAMRA and this news pretty unsavoury ??

...GOMH*...

Is it just me that finds Tony Brown's link to CAMRA and this news pretty unsavoury ??

...GOMH*...

It's potentially a thousand people on the island for a long weekend, some for longer. Plenty of money going into tills. Seems like a smart move.

One point that this raises - have any of our beloved MHKs gone to lobby our Celtic brothers at the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Ireland Assemblies?

As far as I am aware Wales Scotland and Northern Ireland are responsible for their own Health affairs and so might be interested in a reciprocal arrangement.

I would be pushing this hard - I imagine quite a few Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish assembly members will be supportive - and as its a reciprocal arrangement there is something in it for their constituents too.

Same thing with Eire.

MHKs should come out fighting - this is a reciprocal arrangement which is being cancelled - it works both ways - visitors to us will be inconvenienced as well as us when we travel.

During the course of next year, however, a thousand people from the Island could, potentially, go to England for a piss-up. Plenty of money going into English tills. But the UK Government won't be underwriting their medical expenses.

These people are coming here from a country that used to have an agreement that meant we'd cover their medical costs if they fell ill. Their Government withdrew from that deal, that's their right, but it doesn't mean we should pick-up the tab.

One point that this raises - have any of our beloved MHKs gone to lobby our Celtic brothers at the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Ireland Assemblies?

I understood they had, but the was some doubt if they were able to act independently on reciprocal health agreement

As far as I am aware Wales Scotland and Northern Ireland are responsible for their own Health affairs and so might be interested in a reciprocal arrangement.

I would be pushing this hard - I imagine quite a few Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish assembly members will be supportive - and as its a reciprocal arrangement there is something in it for there constituents too.

Same thing with Eire.

MHKs should come out fighting - this is a reciprocal arrangement which is being cancelled - it works both ways - visitors to us will be inconvenienced as well as us when we travel.

Steve Rodan contacted all three and they were happy to arrange it - but when he reported back to Tynwald the numpties there went cap in hand to Whitehall to ask if it would be okay!

Time someone organised one of THESE perhaps.

Archived