Douglas East

Sean South

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are Liberal Vannin putting up a candidate? They're only going to split the progressive, anti-Govt vote.

Admittedly, Carol Beecroft is one of the better LVP-ers, but she doesn't live in the constituency.

I have a plan ...

1. LVP does not field a candidate and backs Robertshaw.

2. Then Robertshaw nominates Quayle for LEGCO.

3. Brown seizes this opportunity to be rid of him, without having to lose face by sacking him and backs the nomination.

4. So Robertshaw, COMIN, Karran, and two people who think they're going to get Quayle's post = Quayle mlc

5. Beecroft then stands in the Middle by-election.

I think The IoM could do a lot worse than having Chris Robertshaw as Tourism Minister or an Enterprise / Business Minsiter?

I knew little about him until he started posting on here and he has left me totally underwhelmed. I am sure he would be fine as an MHK but he did not give me the impression he would actually add much if any thing to Tynwald. Which is a bit of a shame really as we could do with a good candidate to be elected. Hopefully a couple will come forward before nominations close.

I knew little about him until he started posting on here and he has left me totally underwhelmed. I am sure he would be fine as an MHK but he did not give me the impression he would actually add much if any thing to Tynwald. Which is a bit of a shame really as we could do with a good candidate to be elected. Hopefully a couple will come forward before nominations close.

Well you can't argue with his record. He took the Sefton from an average old hotel to a modern successful business.

Chris Robertshaw was not Liberal Vannin but was involved with or rather sponsored by the Positive Action Group (not a political party) at the last General Election.

The following was delivered through our door today, from Councillor Colin Cain:

post-4192-126878464994_thumb.jpg

Already there are people with their eye on his Council seat, should he be successful in his campaign to become an MHK

http://www.three.fm/newscentre/isle-of-man-news/former-mayor-wanting-to-return-to-politics-1159

I think The IoM could do a lot worse than having Chris Robertshaw as Tourism Minister or an Enterprise / Business Minsiter?

He ran a tourist hotel and then sold out when the Manx economy got better. It doesn't make him Richard Branson does it?

You are totally wrong. He moved on for other reasons.

I couldn't think of anyone better than him to stand as a MHK, I know he views the role as a civic duty and not a cushy pension top up scheme. He is not afraid to stand and be counted as well his track record which cannot be questioned. In short I think the Isle of Man needs someone like him to help steer the Island these uncertain times.

I knew little about him until he started posting on here and he has left me totally underwhelmed. I am sure he would be fine as an MHK but he did not give me the impression he would actually add much if any thing to Tynwald.

That was more or less my reaction as well. He talks a good game at times, if a bit prone to self consciously aping the style and mode of tellybox politicians, and has a few ideas but that's more or less it as far as my impression goes.

Edited to add: This is also taking into account his views as expressed on the PAG website, which are often appealing, but also contain an awful lot of fluff. The case for the 'Case for Keeping the Common Purse agreement' covers none of the disadvantages of the agreement or explains why they're tolerable, and the main argument, once extracted from the rhetoric, appears to be little more than "it's good for business to have duties and VAT synchronized with the UK" - completely neglecting to comment on other ways this could be achieved and why these aren't as desirable as the present arrangement. In short, there's nothing there but an incomplete statement of belief regarding the Common Purse.

On the one hand I'm sympathetic to Declan's comment, but on the other I remain a little cautious. My concern is that whilst we do desperately need to change the way things are done here, there's a chance that in that desperation we end up with exactly the same kind of MHK as before, liable to the same kind of mistakes, errors and misjudgement, even if at this particular point they're promising us what we want.

Well you can't argue with his record. He took the Sefton from an average old hotel to a modern successful business

A person's business and professional record alone says little about their abilities or appeal as a politician. Rupert Murdoch, Michael O'Leary and Peter Jones are all successful businessmen, and I'd still vote for an octopus with a serious mental illness over any of them in an election.

Glad to see Chris Robertshaw having another go. I thought he was Liberal Vannin though? Is he Independent?Here

Chris Robertshaw is independant and agree that it would be good to have an independant thinker in Tynwald which he definitely is. I do not think he will get in though as he will not get the "he's a very nice man vote" i.e he is not a, tinker, tailor or candlestick maker or a postman pat type candidate, but you never know the current climate and stark reality that we actualy need thinkers and doers in Tynwald might tip the balance in his favour.I wish him Luck.............

Archived