Douglas East

Sean South

Why are Liberal Vannin putting up a candidate? They're only going to split the progressive, anti-Govt vote.

Admittedly, CarolKate Beecroft is one of the better LVP-ers, but she doesn't live in the constituency.

I have a plan ...

1. LVP does not field a candidate and backs Robertshaw.

2. Then Robertshaw nominates Quayle for LEGCO.

3. Brown seizes this opportunity to be rid of him, without having to lose face by sacking him and backs the nomination.

4. So Robertshaw, COMIN, Karran, and two people who think they're going to get Quayle's post = Quayle mlc

5. Beecroft then stands in the Middle by-election.

Fixed.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to see Chris Robertshaw having another go. I thought he was Liberal Vannin though? Is he Independent?Here

Chris Robertshaw is independent and agree that it would be good to have an independent thinker in Tynwald which he definitely is. I do not think he will get in though as he will not get the "he's a very nice man vote" i.e he is not a, tinker, tailor or candlestick maker or a postman pat type candidate, but you never know the current climate and stark reality that we actualy need thinkers and doers in Tynwald might tip the balance in his favour.I wish him Luck.............

Shame that you don't think he'll win the seat as he is quite a nice man actually. I hope it takes more than luck to win, the confidence of the people of Douglas East has to be gained and manifested on polling day. As for independents getting elected, they appear independent on the door but once in a block vote is formed by patronage and we have CoMin.

22alleged 'independent candidates' were elected last time, as soon as elected the manifesto goes the same way as such other waste material. Once it's job is done, we are back to the old one party state by patronage situation we've always suffered from.

I wish all candidates well but will only be working for the one.

I think The IoM could do a lot worse than having Chris Robertshaw as Tourism Minister or an Enterprise / Business Minsiter?

He ran a tourist hotel and then sold out when the Manx economy got better. It doesn't make him Richard Branson does it?

Not true. The Sefton is far from a 'yourist hotel' and while he's no Richard Branson (did anyone say he was?) he's better than the current bunch.

Such negativity.... Scary.

Not true. The Sefton is far from a 'yourist hotel' and while he's no Richard Branson (did anyone say he was?) he's better than the current bunch.

I find it more concerning that an Irish resident is trying to promote the idea that X or Y would be a good MHK.

I find it more concerning that an Irish resident is trying to promote the idea that X or Y would be a good MHK.

Oops! Sorry. Maybe I'll butt out then :)

It is up to you but you do appear to have been banging a drum for Robertshaw for some time now. Are you a relative? I think you posted or started another post recently on his thought on travel policy.

Maybe it is my grumpy old nation but I do not really like politicians politics being pushed on a general forum as I do not really it is a place for a political debate. It is probably why I am a bit harsh at times on Pat Ayres & the LVP as I think if they are at times blatently peddling a political point of view I think somebody should oppose or challenge it.

It is up to you but you do appear to have been banging a drum for Robertshaw for some time now. Are you a relative? I think you posted or started another post recently on his thought on travel policy.

Maybe it is my grumpy old nation but I do not really like politicians politics being pushed on a general forum as I do not really it is a place for a political debate. It is probably why I am a bit harsh at times on Pat Ayres & the LVP as I think if they are at times blatently peddling a political point of view I think somebody should oppose or challenge it.

No, I'm not a relative. I had some dealings with the Sefton when I lived in Douglas and always found him to be a very switched on guy. Nothing more sinister than that unfortunately. So is there a dedicated forum for Politocs that 'Non Manx Residents' can contribute to? Sounds almost like apartheid??

Just a small point, where you say that Kate Beecroft doesn't live in the constituency, neither does Robertshaw.

But she was born in Braddan and lived in East Douglas for 20 odd years.

I don't particularly like all this 'where were you born' BS but you did raise the subject.

Just a small point, where you say that Kate Beecroft doesn't live in the constituency, neither does Robertshaw.

I don't particularly like all this 'where were you born' BS but you did raise the subject.

I basically agree that where you were born is irrelevant but I do expect that MHK's should live in the constituency they represent. That does not mean at the point of the election but that if you do not currently live in the constituency then they should give a binding commitment to move post election.

Make a nice job advert in the local rags.

Due to promotion, a vacancy has occurred for the Smug Old Boys Club.

Applicants must be able to demonstrate a complete and totally unwarranted self importance, possess the ability to avoid making decisions or accepting responsibilty whilst talking out of both ends and going round in circles backwards at the same.

Core skills include pissing public money into the wind on pointless projects.

Substantial salary and benefits will be provided for the succesful candidate courtesy of the tax payer.

This place doesn't need 20 plus local authorities plus all the MHKs/Legco on top.

If the old adage that a country gets the government it deserves is true, what does that say about the IOM?

I basically agree that where you were born is irrelevant but I do expect that MHK's should live in the constituency they represent. That does not mean at the point of the election but that if you do not currently live in the constituency then they should give a binding commitment to move post election.

You need to have a word with Annie Craine and Alan bell in that case, neither live in Ramsey. There are others that don't live in their constituencies either.

Archived