Douglas East

Sean South

This place doesn't need 20 plus local authorities plus all the MHKs/Legco on top.

If the old adage that a country gets the government it deserves is true, what does that say about the IOM?

There was a bit about cutting the number of UK ministers on the BBC the other day and it got me thinking about how many we have here for such a small place. Bloated and unnecessary IMO for 90,000 people.

I liked this to put it in perspective: "The UK has almost 120 ministers, while India - a country of with more than one billion people - has 78"

Edit to add: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8569279.stm

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You need to have a word with Annie Craine and Alan bell in that case, neither live in Ramsey. There are others that don't live in their constituencies either.

I was aware of Annie Criane but not Alan Bell. In the case of Annie I presume that it was a case of not competeing against another Kerruish when she first stood which would have been the case if she had stood in Garff not Ramsey in 2001. It does possibly show up the discrepancy of different constituencies being able to return different numbers of MHK's. In my view they should all be the same.

I appreciate that Annie Craine lives very close to Ramsey and that it would make little difference but I would be unhappy if say living in Ramsey my MHK lived in Peel. Would they be fighting for that new school, leisure scheme or, harbour scheme for Rsmsey as hard as if they lived in the area, especially if the alternative for those facilities was in Peel. As I would be unhappy in the latter case as a matter of consistency I feel I should be unhappy even if an MHK is only living a matter of feet out of the constituency. Maybe if they had a large business in the constituency I might be a bit more relaxed on the issue.

There was a bit about cutting the number of UK ministers on the BBC the other day and it got me thinking about how many we have here for such a small place. Bloated and unnecessary IMO for 90,000 people.

On the face of it, it does seem a little excessive. However, often it's the case that the smaller a parliament, the more power is weilded by the government. For instance, say we cut the size of the House of Keys down to 20. Then, taking into account the block vote, then CoMin and the CM would only really have to convince two other MHK to vote with them in order to achieve a majority. Apart from a massive government rebellion, CoMin would effectively have the run of the Keys, even more so than is the case today.

You could of course shrink CoMin accordingly by reducing the number of departments, but then you have the problem of how much is too heavy a workload. It might be possible to reduce the number of departments by two or three, but I suspect that would require greater delegation of duties to other MHKs (i.e. patronage), which is self defeating if the purpose is to keep CoMin in check. Another problem is that the smaller the Council of Ministers is, the easier it is for a small group of MHKs to dominate it and the less chance that government itself will include different opinions and expertise.

It's a delicate balancing act to be sure, but my general feeling is that reducing the number of MHKs would not necessarily be the best direction for reform.

You need to have a word with Annie Craine and Alan bell in that case, neither live in Ramsey. There are others that don't live in their constituencies either.

Did either, or both, of them have an active and daily interest in the constituency when they stood, for example a shop or other business? Or perhaps membership of the relevant local authority? I think that level of connection to a constituency is just as valid as the home address when someone asks you why you want to represent that particular constituency. It would put me off a candidate if they had no legitimate connection to the constituency - I might think they were seeking election not to do their best for that constituency, but just to get their foot in the door of parliament. I suppose a valid question for a candidate would be - if this by-election was happening in Onchan or Douglas North would your name be on the list of candidates?

I think The IoM could do a lot worse than having Chris Robertshaw as Tourism Minister or an Enterprise / Business Minsiter?

He ran a tourist hotel and then sold out when the Manx economy got better. It doesn't make him Richard Branson does it?

Not true. The Sefton is far from a 'yourist hotel' and while he's no Richard Branson (did anyone say he was?) he's better than the current bunch.

Such negativity.... Scary.

Scary? Why? I sense the same old 'I know loads about tourism' bollocks that Geoff Corkish (aka Capt Invisible) used to get in. He was a hotel owner, he got richer when the economy got better, he semi retired. I can name 50 local people his age who did the same.

Personally I don't think Robertshaw will be much cop .. that's my opinion. What I object to is some pathetic campaign on MF's designed to get down with the kids and get Robertshaw in. Very sad. Sadder still when he exposed himself on here after posting here quietly for several weeks.

ldYou cou of course shrink CoMin accordingly by reducing the number of departments, but then you have the problem of how much is too heavy a workload. It might be possible to reduce the number of departments by two or three, but I suspect that would require greater delegation of duties to other MHKs (i.e. patronage), which is self defeating if the purpose is to keep CoMin in check. Another problem is that the smaller the Council of Ministers is, the easier it is for a small group of MHKs to dominate it and the less chance that government itself will include different opinions and expertise.

You could just abolish CoMin.

Personally I don't think Robertshaw will be much cop .. that's my opinion. What I object to is some pathetic campaign on MF's designed to get down with the kids and get Robertshaw in. Very sad. Sadder still when he exposed himself on here after posting here quietly for several weeks.

This aspect of his campaign strategy should not rule him out a decent MHK, he has a good track record in management and some fresh ideas. He may well turn out to be just what we need

However, to make any headway he will have to get on board with everyone else in Tynwald which maybe a problem coming from his previous position where he was running the show.

I wish him well, my predictions are a low turnout with Robertshaw in front followed by Beecroft and Cain

ldYou cou of course shrink CoMin accordingly by reducing the number of departments, but then you have the problem of how much is too heavy a workload. It might be possible to reduce the number of departments by two or three, but I suspect that would require greater delegation of duties to other MHKs (i.e. patronage), which is self defeating if the purpose is to keep CoMin in check. Another problem is that the smaller the Council of Ministers is, the easier it is for a small group of MHKs to dominate it and the less chance that government itself will include different opinions and expertise.

You could just abolish CoMin.

Hopefully

I wish him well, my predictions are a low turnout with Robertshaw in front followed by Beecroft and Cain

Robertshaws only advantage seems to be that he is not Phil Braidwood. Although in context anyone sentient and lucid who has publicaly uttered more than 10 words since 2005 would be better than Braidwood. As for Beecroft I thought she lived in Union Mills? How is it possible to stand in Douglas East? Are LV now sending 'flying pickets' into safe seats? As for Cain ... if Tynwald needs anyone on the door he's probably your man. All in all ... its one load of rubbish sent in to replace another.

Archived