On a secondary note does the iPad have a built in GPS?

Only the 3G version does.

Ah well thats a decider then as I do think it will be great for satnav apps.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit of info, went into MT shop today and they are expecting microsims for tablet soon and you will be able to link them to your normal mobile phone account.

Problem is sure is not 3G so the speed is next to useless.

Granted Edge isn't any good for video of big downloads but for email and browsing it's adequate. If you happen to be somewhere which doesn't have WIFI. It's 1p per MB PAYG. No monthly bill. If you don't use it you don't pay anything.

If MT introduce a data option which doesn't expire every month then that would be great. Something like .. an allowance of data which is good until you've used it all and then you need to top up.

A quick one for any who have this device, I have obtained a 700 page pdf entitled iPad made simple it is in effect a quite good user manual but is 65mb in size, if anyone wants it I can put it online for you to download.

A quick one for any who have this device, I have obtained a 700 page pdf entitled iPad made simple it is in effect a quite good user manual but is 65mb in size, if anyone wants it I can put it online for you to download.

There's a free "ipad User Guide" from Apple in the bookstore, I wonder if it's the same document?

Can you send a d/l link so I can compare?

ETA - This one's only 153 pages so it can't be the same

Further edit - programmes like Instapaper and Goodreader sudden;y make a lot more sense on the iPad. I have a load of manuals and books in pdf format in my Dropbox and viewing the in GoodReader is very useful

so to summarise for a techno-phobe...if I was getting one for 'er indoors, who simply wanted it for web browsing and emails whilst in the house...the 32gb wi-fi would be sufficient????

As long as she does not want to view websites that use flash ie youtube, bbc or millions of smaller sites that use flash for video or interactive content.

Otherwise you could wait until tomorrow and get a Dell Streak for around the same price as the entry level Ipad, but with a Camera, Phone functionalty, GPS and Flash support in the browser.

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/829113-dell-streak-gets-uk-launch-tomorrow

As long as she does not want to view websites that use flash ie youtube, bbc or millions of smaller sites that use flash for video or interactive content.

Seriously YouTube!!! Come on now, have you ever actually used an iPhone OS device?

I've been happily using mine and the Flash thing really is a non issue. BBC iPlayer included.

When Skies Are Grey - Yes, absolutely. My Missus loves the thing. can't get her off it! It's changed the way we use the internet and consume media.

I'm thinking of getting a second (with 3G :rolleyes: ), so I can get my hands on it!

Seriously YouTube!!! Come on now, have you ever actually used an iPhone OS device?

I've been happily using mine and the Flash thing really is a non issue. BBC iPlayer included.

You obviously don't understand, you can view Iplayer via an App, and YouTube via an App but you cannot view the bbc website, nor any of its interactive sites, and you seriously expect every business with interactive content or video to create its own app for you to download and install, if so your phone will be filled with Apps, personally I prefer to browse the internet, not download apps completely breaks the user experience.

The Dell Streak does all that the Ipad does and more, Video Calls, Telephone functionality and yes Flash support in the browser so you don't have to keep downloading apps all the time. All that and it is the same price as the entry level ipad, which does not even have GPS.

Archived