St Mary's Rc Primary School

Last Ten

I had quite a few friends who attended the old St Mary's, it occured to me how rough most of them were in their ways and they all had strange ideas about the world! They took great pleasure in telling me how I was condemned to an eternity in hell sometimes.

They always seemed to have a 'Saints Day' holiday for some obscure bugger with similar beliefs!

They often told me of the beatings handed out by priests and nuns using leather straps, some of them had a really rough time. I tried to imagine our vicar laying into someone with a strap but it just didn't seem possible and I never really experienced corporal punishment until I went to Ballakermeen and St Ninnians.

My family were big in the Orange Order and were no friend of the Catholic church. I could see why at the age of eight or nine when it's officials were institutionally barbaric and cruel. I have never been able to summon up respect for priests and nuns since!

That old school was the most miserable looking building in any case.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had quite a few friends who attended the old St Mary's, it occured to me how rough most of them were in their ways and they all had strange ideas about the world! They took great pleasure in telling me how I was condemned to an eternity in hell .

Ya'll never know where it came from! :)

Guys all your posts are so brilliant and have brought back so many, dare I say it, bad memories of that torture chamber, Lonan3 fantastic poem mate!

Still looking for some piccies though!

Last Ten

I'd be very interested to know if any of the teachers from the 50's / 60's were still alive and what they would feel reading some of the sad stories on here. Would they rationalise it away by saying that this was how teaching was back in the day, would they have any regrets or would they simply say that todays methods are far too mamby pamby.

The Jesus I was brought up to believe in by my parents was a benevolent, loving, caring God, These teachers though seemed hell bent on changing that perceoption by their very (Victorian) actions

I was one of the unfortunates who felt the sharp edge of Miss Leadleys ruler on a number of occasions for 'entertaining the class with daft antics' I would like to believe it hasn't had a detrimental affect on me, but hey, who knows??!!

Would love to see a proper photo of the building though - amazing how closely it resembles a church

I think if some of these ex teachers with such brutal ways read this thread they would be really quite ashamed at the way they treated some of the kids at the early days St Mary's Roman Catholic School!

If I am to be perfectly honest, the constant banging of the Catholic religious drum has had the absolute reverse effect on me, and I now do not really take religion serious at all!

I was so determined that when I left St Mary's RC School that I would work my ass off to make up the the lost years that I and obviously many more posters feel that St Mary's done for them.

I now have a good job, in fact I would boast that I have one of the best jobs in the world and I love it, and I cannot give any credit whatsoever to St Mary's RC School in assisting me in my educational/career path at all.

Glad them days are well and truly over to be honest and I would not wish my worst enemy to have to endure such brutal ways and antiquated teaching methods.

Last Ten

I think if some of these ex teachers with such brutal ways read this thread they would be really quite ashamed at the way they treated some of the kids at the early days St Mary's Roman Catholic School!

If I am to be perfectly honest, the constant banging of the Catholic religious drum has had the absolute reverse effect on me, and I now do not really take religion serious at all!

I was so determined that when I left St Mary's RC School that I would work my ass off to make up the the lost years that I and obviously many more posters feel that St Mary's done for them.

I now have a good job, in fact I would boast that I have one of the best jobs in the world and I love it, and I cannot give any credit whatsoever to St Mary's RC School in assisting me in my educational/career path at all.

Glad them days are well and truly over to be honest and I would not wish my worst enemy to have to endure such brutal ways and antiquated teaching methods.

Last Ten

Like you, I too have been really lucky in the profession I have enjoyed for the last 36 years. Ironic really, considering St Mary's was probably at least partially responsible for a really bad stutter that I was lucky enough to be able to lose (just about when the fairer sex suddenly became REALLY important!!)

Sentience and Last Ten, do you really think the teachers cared about the children at all? Their only vocation was throwing their weight around; teaching in a church school just gave them a good cover. It was just legitimised sadism performed in the name of God.

Sentience and Last Ten, do you really think the teachers cared about the children at all? Their only vocation was throwing their weight around; teaching in a church school just gave them a good cover. It was just legitimised sadism performed in the name of God.

Gladys you are now to kneel at the bottom of the bed and say 10 Hail Mary's with your Rosery beads of course, if this does not work you may have to visit the confessional and ask the Priest for fogiveness!!!

Heee..heee

Last Ten

Archived