St Mary's Rc Primary School

Last Ten

I went to this school circa 1968 (ouch) and I am presently doing a little bit of research into the original St Mary's school which was where the now Government Offices are and the present School in St Mary's Road off Somerset Road in Douglas.

I am interested in any piccies of the original School and any of the early day teachers!

Thanks in advance for any info.

LT

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha and there was me thinking you were my age, meeees a spring chicken :) I remember the school being on Finch Road but it has been closed for as long as my memory remembers. I went to Murrays Road, another school that was replaced by a 'modern' building I often wondered what the old school was like. Are you making a book LT?

Hi thebees, you a spring chicken!!!???? No I am not going to write a book about St Mary but believe me I could do with some of the things that went on in the new school. I am going to do a web article about the two schools but need some help to do it.

Cheers anyway thebees.

LT

There's loads of pictures on the fb page. And the users on there are a right spread of ages, so I'm sure you'll get some interest in it. I went there from about '87 / '88 I think it was.

small photo at http://www.manxnotebook.com/exans/prt_1906.htm - various bits of history + staff on other pages including brief description of 1st Catholic school (Kelly's school from name of teacher) in a cellar. There might be more in Peter Kelly's History of St Mary's church

Thanks Frances

Is there a book out on this from Peter Kelly?

LT

The worst - and most wasted - years of my life were those I endured at the old St Mary's School. The whole experience was horrendous and the only benefit I received was that it taught me to question any religion, especially one that tries to beat 'the love of god' into children and terrify them into compliance.

There should not be a place for 'religious schools' in any civilised society.

The worst - and most wasted - years of my life were those I endured at the old St Mary's School. The whole experience was horrendous and the only benefit I received was that it taught me to question any religion, especially one that tries to beat 'the love of god' into children and terrify them into compliance.

There should not be a place for 'religious schools' in any civilised society.

Miss Holland, Sister Mary Brendan (with a thick leather strap as her constant companion hanging from the same belt as her Rosary beads), Benny Lynch (with his leather strap) Mr Roney, janitor, (with his tea urn after early morning mass when you had fasted for 12 hours, stewed tea and egg sarnies - wow,) the two O'Hanlon brothers, one nice and one, well not so easy to get along with, and Miss Ledley, who showed us wonderful slides after school,of her various European trips, Obberamagou etc, but used the edge of rulers on young knuckles if you misbehaved. However she manged to teach me every one of the multiplication tables!!

Complain we might, but I bet we all, well most, have turned into at least reasonable citizens of this Golden Isle, able to show respect and generate it without cowtowing

Any one remember any other teachers circa 1954 - 1961?

My horrendous experiences started at this old School in Finch Road where I just hated the thought of these strange teachers there and this antiquated old building.

Then the new (present) school opened up and we were the first year up there, my experience of Sister Mary Rita (wearing her Rosery beads) and her absolute torcherous ways with a leather belt really put the fear (of God) in me and as such I will never forget this so called Roman Catholic School for such a life lasting horrendous experience.

Then there was Tom Daughen who was the Headmaster and in all honesty was a good man but he used to put the fear into us kids with his leather strap, which he was not frightened to use, fortunately enough I never had the experience of receiving this strap!

Then there was Mary Leadley who was not afraid to use the edge of a 12" ruler to wrap you around the knuckles and she thought nothing of sending you home, I was a mere seven when I was sent home on my own, I lived about three miles away and my Mum played merry hell with this Roman Catholic School for leaving me to find my own way back home.

I also remember Mr Unsworth, who was a decent human being, Mr and Mrs O Hanlon, again they were nice people and then Mrs McBride who taught geography.

If I am to be honest and I know things are totally different at the now St Mary's School but these years at this establishment have scarred me and I now look back at my primary school years as totally horrendous, brutal and a waste of a number of years of my life.

Anyway that's my tupenneth worth and in similarity to Sentience and Lonan3 I would certainly welcome others views, especially if they attended this little Roman Catholic School!

Last Ten

i remember my first day dragged screaming into miss hollands classroom then stuck on this massive rocking horse to shut me up.next to miss holland was sister mary rita there may have been a miss mcclusky(mcbride rings a bell) next to her on the ground floor i could be wrong on that .assembly was on the first floor benny lynch the older ohanlon brother and was it mr unsworth?? all wore gowns and headgear scarey sight for a kid.after assembly the partition was pulled and they became classrooms for young and old ohanlon and sister mary brenden she was scitzo. top floor was miss ledley and mr unsworth.

i got the strap off benny lynch and mary brenden a few times

and a few rulers off mar ledley.

i got there bout 1960 lynch was the head but died and was replaced by mr daughen.

Sentience and Lonan3 and last ten i agree

I was traumatised by being sent there at the age of four. This has brought back so many memories.I had an older sister in, probably, standard seven. When they had a harriden named Jinny Clague teaching that class . I never met Miss Clague but my sister was terrified of her. I remember a rather nice nun called Sister Mary Saviour, but everybody else was truly frightening. Miss Leadley used to cane the boys in front of the class in standard three. You had to queue up outside Noel O Hanlons classroom if you were late and you got the strap...I got it often as I had to get the bus in from out of town due to not being allowed to go to a non catholic school near home. There were no designated school buses, so I had to get off at Circular road and run like hell to school. I was often late and got the strap each time.

Then there was Benediction at the church at four o clock each Wednesday, and I had to leave early to run to the bus station for the Bus at 4 30.

What about those stone stairs eh? all worn down in the center and nothing so grand as a carpet or any covering.

No school dinners. no hot drinks. Walloped if you hadn't been to mass or confession at the weekend. Prayers morning and noon ...The Angelus...

When I read the book 'A Kestral for a Knave' I couldn't see what 'Billy'the main character was moaning about..He should have gone to St Mary's.

may have been a miss mcclusky(mcbride rings a bell)

McBride was still there in the 1984-1990 period, looking like Gary Oldman's portrayal of Dracula and keeping alive the tradition of punishment coming from the edge of ruler across the knuckles.

Archived