Glastonbury 2011

thebees

Can everyone going to Glastonbury 2013 please do so as quietly as possible with the lease amount of gloating # weljel

Least it's going to be ace on the telly this year. The BBC's coverage looks proper Olympic scale.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone who thinks they will need a yurt for Glasto clearly isn't boshing enough loopy juice. I rarely bother going to bed if i'm honest...

Least it's going to be ace on the telly this year. The BBC's coverage looks proper Olympic scale.

Enjoying the coverage, the audio's a bit crap though - all snare, no bass.

Ironically most of the bands I've watched from the first day, I've seen or will see at festivals this year.

It's a fair point, but is it that outrageous compared to other minorities (no programme gets 50% of the population) - formula one costs them £20m just for the rights, before they send anyone to film it) - that's twice 6music' s annual budget. Wimbledon receives similar coverage for a fortnight as Glastonbury gets over a weekend.

A third of the population attend paid for concerts each year, a million plus will attend festivals this year. Plus the bbc can recycle this footage and these recordings as part of their output over the years. 6music plays archive concerts most nights for example.

Personal view: A HUGE amount of licence-payer's money spent on coverage for a minority audience [i'm sure the hundreds of BBC personnel involved are delighted with this increasingly expensive annual jolly].I know I'm not going to find much support for that, but it's a genuine opinion.

Last Glastonbury was viewed by 19 million, with the headline breaking the record for any single performance with 2.6 million viewers. Hardly a minority.

Archived