Port St Mary Broadband

• 1 month later...

We're getting around 20mps on a regular basis running 3 laptops, however at regular intervals the router will simply drop out for anything between 10-30 seconds, and the green active light on the router stays red. Does anyone else have this occur as it is frustrating as hell and I'm wondering if it's just a matter of tweaking the router or if I should take it up with MT. We're on the Ultima package so it's a bit frustrating that the service isn't meeting the bill tariff in my opinion.

Thanks for any advice.

Please, explain to us why this is the case.

Could be getting too hot, powering down / up again (happened to me).

I was thinking:

• Router too hot / PSU too hot or just bad,
  • Distribution hardware,
  • Signal level too weak (also happened to me).

Another option is someone with a nice strong radio transmitter getting RF into the cabling, but who would ever do that smile.png

• 4 weeks later...

We're getting around 20mps on a regular basis running 3 laptops, however at regular intervals the router will simply drop out for anything between 10-30 seconds, and the green active light on the router stays red. Does anyone else have this occur as it is frustrating as hell and I'm wondering if it's just a matter of tweaking the router or if I should take it up with MT. We're on the Ultima package so it's a bit frustrating that the service isn't meeting the bill tariff in my opinion.

Thanks for any advice.

I have been getting the exact same problem, on and off, for the last 3 years. I am with ADSL in Douglas with a different tariff and different provider. It usually happens few times a year. Each time I complain to them I get the usual advice of checking your router, do an 'isolation test' and so on. Once I even had to pay for the MT people to come in and check the line which 'surprise, surprise' was working perfectly. And yes, I followed the advice and I also bought a 'brand new' recommended router (I don't even use the wifi I plug straight to it ).

Usually after complaining and getting the usual 'advice' the problem magically disappears (and then returns few months later). I am not an expert at all in the subject but I think this pretty much suggests that things must go wrong their end quite often (for one reason or another - which is fine as everything fails from time) but for some reason they never admit it. I don't think switching provider will make any difference. Is there other people still having the same problem from time to time? - I am at the moment :(

Cheers

Archived