Jurby’S Only Shop Has Closed Down

Virtual_Boy

The article from the Manx Independent can be found here

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/business/jurby_s_only_shop_has_closed_down_1_3652181?commentspage=0

This article is utter rubbish and they should really get their facts correct, I am very close to someone who used the shop regularly both before and after the Potters moved in and who spent the previous five years working for them. Having lost their job are quite angry and upset that this tosh has been printed, I have contacted the newspaper but in the meantime I'd like to point out what is incorrect with said news story on here.

The shop began to lose customers as soon as Carole and Ken acquired the business as they were very rude to the local residents, so much so that some regular customers even began to travel to Andreas and even Ramsey just for a daily newspaper.

They have always had part time and full time staff in employment so not to have to work themselves and have not had to employ any extra staff due to Carole's illness, all of the shops staff received less than the legal minimum wage which was reported on a number of occasions but never dealt with, nor did they receive sick pay, holiday pay or redundancy money.

The Potters did not decide to close the shop but were told to do so by the government after they ran up a huge amount of debt due to them buying all their personal items through the shop but not paying for them, they have been aware for a year or more that they would be closed down but knowing that the government would not see them go homeless have kept things running until they were allocated a house.

They may have known for two weeks that they had been re-housed but they did not even have the courtesy to inform their employees that they would be made redundant until the day the shop closed it's doors.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's too easy to blame everything on tesco these days. Why not stay open longer, offer a home delivery service yourselves, stock interesting items, sell hot food, etc etc.

When butchers and greengrocers open at 09.00 and close at 17.00 then complain that business is down baffles me. When are people supposed to shop?

The article from the Manx Independent can be found here

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/business/jurby_s_only_shop_has_closed_down_1_3652181?commentspage=0

This article is utter rubbish and they should really get their facts correct, I am very close to someone who used the shop regularly both before and after the Potters moved in and who spent the previous five years working for them. Having lost their job are quite angry and upset that this tosh has been printed, I have contacted the newspaper but in the meantime I'd like to point out what is incorrect with said news story on here.

The shop began to lose customers as soon as Carole and Ken acquired the business as they were very rude to the local residents, so much so that some regular customers even began to travel to Andreas and even Ramsey just for a daily newspaper.

They have always had part time and full time staff in employment so not to have to work themselves and have not had to employ any extra staff due to Carole's illness, all of the shops staff received less than the legal minimum wage which was reported on a number of occasions but never dealt with, nor did they receive sick pay, holiday pay or redundancy money.

The Potters did not decide to close the shop but were told to do so by the government after they ran up a huge amount of debt due to them buying all their personal items through the shop but not paying for them, they have been aware for a year or more that they would be closed down but knowing that the government would not see them go homeless have kept things running until they were allocated a house.

They may have known for two weeks that they had been re-housed but they did not even have the courtesy to inform their employees that they would be made redundant until the day the shop closed it's doors.

As usual the hard working staff are the last to know and are always the ones who end up losing out financially. The same thing happened at G&D's where the directors and managment seems to have done alright out of it whilst the staff were either not paid at all or only received a portion of the money owed to them. Wonder if the relevant (if any) goverment department will pick up on this and the Jurby employees. Shall we hold our collective breaths

It's too easy to blame everything on tesco these days. Why not stay open longer, offer a home delivery service yourselves, stock interesting items, sell hot food, etc etc.

When butchers and greengrocers open at 09.00 and close at 17.00 then complain that business is down baffles me. When are people supposed to shop?

If you run a convenience store that isn't convenient for the local people, then it's not going to get enough business to be profitable.

So, you're right on the nose. I work 0900 til 1730, and as I'm having to work harder to stay in profit, I'm often actually working until later than 1730. Anything that closes before 1930 just doesn't get my business, as it's not convenient.

Hopefully someone (who isn't as useless as a 1:1 scale model of the space shuttle made out of butter) will pick up the shop though.

A shop which I have previously made ONE STOP at was asked to help out and sell essentials from Jurby until a new tenant for the lease was found but they would only do it on the provision that they were granted the lease, so I'd like to say thanks to them for thinking about lining their own pocket rather than helping the community because 99.9% of residents don't want you to take over anyway.

Nothing official but it may be that a company they were SPARing with could be getting it.

Yep, exactly this. Hit the nail right on the head there - absolutely insanity for small businesses to only open the hours when the vast majority of the population are in work and thus unable to get there.

Yep, exactly this. Hit the nail right on the head there - absolutely insanity for small businesses to only open the hours when the vast majority of the population are in work and thus unable to get there.

Arkwright had it right - open all hours. Open later in the morning and stay open later into the evening - you know it makes sense. Oh and employ staff that don't treat customers as an irritant

A shop which I have previously made ONE STOP at was asked to help out and sell essentials from Jurby until a new tenant for the lease was found but they would only do it on the provision that they were granted the lease, so I'd like to say thanks to them for thinking about lining their own pocket rather than helping the community because 99.9% of residents don't want you to take over anyway.

That's shooting yourselves in the foot a bit though surely? I find the One Stop Shop to be superb as a community stores, they obviously know what they're doing so to bring that experience across to Jurby Stores seems like a no brainer to me.

That's shooting yourselves in the foot a bit though surely? I find the One Stop Shop to be superb as a community stores, they obviously know what they're doing so to bring that experience across to Jurby Stores seems like a no brainer to me.

Personally I had no issue with OSS possibly running the stores for the same reasons you have stated but I don't like the fact they refused to help out unless they were promised the lease.

I also don't think many of the residents issues with OSS are justified as they mainly seem are to be with price as they add money onto items such as bread where the shops profit is the discount they receive when buying, having said this they can't expect a small independent shop to compete with supermarkets in price and I myself expect to pay a little extra for the convenience.

Jurby died when they knocked down the Jurby hotel, whoever in government was responsible for that decision needs shooting.

I don't think they had much choice as I believe the building had quantities of asbestos.

I could turn it into a profitable business. Problem is it is trying to be what it isn't. there isn't the trade to be the size it is, Caleys is an example of a shop designed for the location. Small enough to be served by one employee and large enough to fit four people in at a time, captive audience with a school close by and a PO counter, add an industrial estate and passing trade you have the recipe for a suiccessful microshop. Cut the area in half andf have the far end as a bike workshop for alternative income stream.

Wonder what the terms are?

Personally I had no issue with OSS possibly running the stores for the same reasons you have stated but I don't like the fact they refused to help out unless they were promised the lease.

I don't like Government (and others) 'expecting' people to 'help out' out of the goodness of their hearts, buying extra stock arranging extra staff, extra insurance, extra time and effort without some benefit at the end of it, just typical being used as a 'convenience' (just like local companies asked for quotations for work and spending long hours preparing such, just so that they can say that they had priced the job from local companies and gave it to their favourite anyway)

it's purely business, there's no sentiment involved, it's not for the good of their health

you wouldn't find Tesco or M&S doing it to 'help out' :lol:

it's purely business, there's no sentiment involved, it's not for the good of their health

you wouldn't find Tesco or M&S doing it to 'help out' :lol:

Perhaps there should be some sentiment involved especially in a business such as a small community shop, as the previous owners have shown, customer service and 'helping out' your customers by stocking the goods they require is paramount to being successful.

Archived