Hop-Tu-Naa 2011

MissyEchelon

Hi there, new to this website and this is my first topic post.

My name is Laura, i moved over here in July to be closer to my family but i've always loved being on the Island and never wanted to leave.

My favourite time of year is coming up, and i wondered if any of you locals knew of anything exciting going on for Hop-tu-Naa that i might not have heard about?

I know of a few train trips, castle trips, halloween markets and i think a halloween ball..

I know i'm a little early but i'm just so excited, i've already got my costume ready and waiting! smile.png

xxx

My name is Laura, i moved over here in July to be closer to my family but i've always loved being on the Island and never wanted to leave.

My favourite time of year is coming up, and i wondered if any of you locals knew of anything exciting going on for Hop-tu-Naa that i might not have heard about?

I know of a few train trips, castle trips, halloween markets and i think a halloween ball..

I know i'm a little early but i'm just so excited, i've already got my costume ready and waiting! smile.png

xxx

Are you for real?

xxx

Welcome to Wicca and the island Laura.

I'm pleased that you want to join in the festivities and apple duckings to those who don't lol.

For those who want to know more about Hop Tu Naa, then check it out here

Also, check out the Isle of Man Guide:

29th October 2011

Jinny the Witch and Friends. Join us at Cregneash for storytelling, Manx fairy tales, witch craft activities, real potions & remedies and Hop tun Naa trail. Special Hop tu Naa trains will also be running from Douglas to Port St Mary with a free bus transfer to Cregneash on presentation of a valid Hop tu Naa ticket. ,, 01624648000.

30th October 2011 Traditional Hop tu Naa at Cregneash. Celebrate the unique Manx occassion of Hop tu Naa at Cregneash Join in the days events by carving your turnip lantern, traditional crafts and demonstrations around the village as well as music and dance. Special Hop tu Naa trains will also be running from Douglas to Port St Mary, with a free bus transfer to Cregneash on presentation of a valid Hop tu Naa ticket. ,, 01624648000.

31st October 2011 Hop tu Naa at Milntown House, Lezayre was the home of the Christian Family for over 600 years. On this special evening you will visiit the Island's most haunted home, be guided around it's grounds, told of it's history before entering this magnificent house. Tours at 6.30pm, 8.30pm and 10.30pm. Group bookings only. ,, 466094 or 416824 http://www.iomghosttours.com

Have a great time and wish you well

Yes "Passing Time", i'm completely for real.

Have i offended you in some way?

It's not easy being new wherever you move to, and "Freya Q", i wasn't the one who listed some of the events on the events pages i've read, as halloween events.

I was respectful enough to call the celebration by its traditional name.

I know the difference, since my mum is Manx.

I was just looking for some events and celebrations that i could get involved in to feel more part of the community, because this time of year has always meant a lot to me personally, and keeping things local and traditional is part of the Islands natural charm that i love.

What's the harm in wanting to support local events?

Sorry again to have seemingly annoyed a few of you.

Thanks for your kindness "Manxy", it's appreciated.

Don't worry - some people are just naturally grumpy! Hope you have a great time at hop tu naa and good to see people keeping old traditions alive.

Thanks so much, thats lovely of you.

"Freya Q", i wasn't the one who listed some of the events on the events pages i've read, as halloween events.

Ive no idea why you think Im annoyed at you. Im not!

I acually thought Id wished you well in my reply ..... let me check ...

Hope you find some friends here on the Island

Yes I did.

"Freya Q", i wasn't the one who listed some of the events on the events pages i've read, as halloween events.

Ive no idea why you think Im annoyed at you. Im not!

I acually thought Id wished you well in my reply ..... let me check ...

Hope you find some friends here on the Island

Yes I did.

I think my comment was more towards Passing Time and macmannin, i just wanted to cover myself against anyone feeling offended or annoyed.

Thank you muchly for your well wishes though it's appreciated ^_^

Manx Forums is a little like a bush-tucker trial on "get me out of here";

If you decide to get involved there is a chance of a nice shiny star at the end, however you know for a fact that your going to get bitten to shit again, and again, again in the process!

Hopefully you'll find that the majority of us aren't too bad though.

Enjoy.

Gone are the days of patiently carving a turnip, now its a pumpkin and 'trick or treat' WTF. Prom, thats another , really, fuckin kids hiring limos to go to Mount Murray, how did we let this happen?

Yes "Passing Time", i'm completely for real.

Have i offended you in some way?

It's not easy being new wherever you move to, and "Freya Q", i wasn't the one who listed some of the events on the events pages i've read, as halloween events.

I was respectful enough to call the celebration by its traditional name.

I know the difference, since my mum is Manx.

I was just looking for some events and celebrations that i could get involved in to feel more part of the community, because this time of year has always meant a lot to me personally, and keeping things local and traditional is part of the Islands natural charm that i love.

What's the harm in wanting to support local events?

Thanks for your kindness "Manxy", it's appreciated.

sincere apologies Missy, no offence was intended. Hop tu Naa is very popular over here despite serious attempts to "americanise" it with trick or treat. My family normally have a house type party for duck/bob apple and get the grandchildren involved. Most events are normally village hall or home parties. I hope you find one near to where you live

Let it be known i honestly didn't feel offence towards anyone, just maybe got worried about perhaps offending some locals who are more traditional than most?

Anyhow, share the love, all is cool here.

I've never actually done the whole "trick or treat thing", granted i did actually spend a portion of my time in America while growing up so in some ways i am Americanised i suppose, but not towards this holiday since my mum is Manx, as i said earlier.

My family are Manx and Irish, so i have celtic traditions passionately running through my veins and i wouldn't wish it to be any other way!

I'll be honest, i love a nice pumpkin or two because i just think they're pretty, but i love just as much to carve and hollow out the turnips and squashes too!

(I have about 3 sets of professional carving tools.. i could spend all day carving them and making them look pretty!)

Autumn is just a special time for me all round, and i like nothing better than getting friends together for a nice apple dunking, lantern carving, party food eating and a drink. Usually we do things like spin your own toffee apples and costume competitions too.

Fireworks and sparkly things are a bonus! wink.png

So besides the organised festivities on the Island is anyone planning anything smaller and more intimate?

I don't know enough people yet to throw a party! HAHA

Archived