Regrets - I've Had A Few...

Stu Peters

Some great posts - thanks all (except Monkey Boy - pffft).

One thought that many people seem to share is 'why regret - the mistakes are part of me' kinda thing. I read a Richard Bach (I think) book years ago where I first came across the concept of parallel universes - every decision you make has at least two options, and the one(s) you didn't choose form another sort of life branch predicated on those alternatives. Limitless possible alternatives. I've since read of the Schrodinger's Cat theory - neither dead nor alive, which follows this logic. To be honest it made (and still makes) my head hurt to contemplate concepts like that but I still find them fascinating. Alternative 'me's' who died at birth, went to University, became a motor mechanic, married my first girlfriend, stayed married but had no children, never worked for myself....thousands of possible and fascinating permutations...some with a better outcome, some far worse.

ETA: But none of those alternatives discovered how good the Bushy's Bitter is at the Bridge in Laxey tonight. Result...

Aye, the toughie though is having regrets about the path your life has taken and having children; would you really even contemplate denying their existence? Was thinking much along the same lines while walking the dogs today and my head did indeed start to hurt. So, I picked up some dog poo and carried on.

Steve Jobs said, 'You can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in the future. You have to trust in something-your gut,destiny,life,karma whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.'

If he hadn't dropped out of college and dropped into calligraphy classes Apple computers would have developed differently.

Archived