Can Anyone Recommend A Good Firm To Remove Moss Of Rooves

radfahrer

I am gradually getting a thick carpet of moss on my roof,some people say it does no harm but i,m not so sure,can anyone advise me of a good firm that will remove this eye sore, Yes there is such a word as rooves,its not used as much these day,s i just thought i would get that in before the clever dicks start

Edited by radfahrer

rooves.... are you sure? Hoof goes to hooves but I'm sure that there is some reason why you cannot put a ves on roof (minus the f). You could always try a jet wash machine like a Karcher or something, even if it didn't work it would be hilarious to see...don't warn the neighbours :).....so long as you do not live next door to me, that is.

Yes there is such a word as rooves,its not used as much these day,s i just thought i would get that in before the clever dicks start

You don't have to be that clever to get moss off a roof.

yes i know,i just don,t want to break my neck ,i would rather have it done by ppl with the correct equipment,also you need to use a special spray to prevent it from returning

Edited by radfahrer

Just a thought:

http://www.ecogreenroofs.co.uk/benefits/

"Green roofs provide many benefits, not only to the environment, but also in an aesthetic and ecomomical way. Here are some of the major benefits having a green roof installed onto your property or building.

benefits_tick.pngStorm Water Run Off

Vegetated roofs are able to retain on average 82 % of rainfall compared to 27 % on pure gravel rooftops; and this is even better on roofs with a 2 % slope (up to 87 % retention). (Nicholaus et al. 2005).

benefits_tick.pngHabitat for rare wildlife

Green roofs provide a stepping stone for many rare birds endangered by the lack of suitable habitats. They also provide a home for many rare insects, beetles, spiders and plant species.

benefits_tick.pngSound Insulation

University of Sheffield research shows that a 20 - 100mm dry growing medium could achieve an extra SPL (Sound Pressure Level) attenuation of 10 - 40dB, depending on frequency.

benefits_tick.pngAir quality

Studies have suggested a 37% reduction of sulphur dioxide (that causes acid rain) and a 21% reduction in nitrous acid can be achieved in the air above a green roof, when compared to other air samples taken nearby (Yok Tan and Sia 2005.)

benefits_tick.pngWater Quality

Water is cleaned when passing through a green roof system. Kohler and Schmidt (1990) found that 60% of cadmium, copper and lead, and approximately 16% of zinc, can be removed from rainwater on passing through a green roof.

benefits_tick.pngAir conditioning bills

Publications have indicated that the need for air conditioning in summer months can actually be reduced by 6 % and, combined with a 1-2 % reduction of the urban heat island effect; greened cities could see electrical demand come down by 5 % (Booth 2006).

benefits_tick.pngHeating Bills

Heating bills can also reduced by a green roof, with an average saving of around 4 %.

benefits_tick.pngRoof life Span

Studies have proven that a green roof can increase a roof’s lifespan by up to 3 times. There are a couple of examples where the green roof has not needed to be replaced for over 100 years! The green roof protects the waterproofing from UV rays, frost and ice.

benefits_tick.pngThermal Benefits

Investigations into the thermal properties of green roofs have revealed that plants themselves significantly reduce air temperatures both inside the building and in the immediate environment (Niachou et al. 2001). Experiments in Toronto, Canada, comparing common flat roofs, painted white roofs and green roofs found that, on average, roof temperatures on dry summer days were 65˚C, 42˚C and 35˚C respectively.

benefits_tick.pngPlanning Permission

In some cases a green roof factored into a new building’s design can help you gain planning permission. If green roofs are for an existing building then planning permission for the green roof itself is very rarely needed."

• Like 1

We have a roof with a very steep pitch that had a thick layer of moss, and there was NO WAY I was climbing up there, so we got Ollie Gelling and his chaps in to do it (have a look in the phone book) they were quick and done an excellent job. And to Macmannin, apparently the thickness of copper cable required to prevent moss growing makes that option very expensive.