Xbox Live Account Hacked

K.os Theory

Just posting that i've just had my xbox live account hacked.

someone's got into my account, purchased 10,000 ms points and is literally draining them all off in 120 ms point increments.

I should be able to get the money refunded but keep your eyes open.

here' s link showing that this is known by ms...

http://www.neowin.net/news/report-some-xbox-live-accounts-hacked

time to call MS!

Yes, happened to me last week too. Already had my account locked, card cancelled and all that sort of stuff.

The helpful bloke I spoke to told me it should take 2-3 weeks for the account to be restored, which I'm not arsed about really as I dont remember the last time anyone actually played on it. It's more the inconvenience of having to have my card replaced and also the fact I'm £82 light, but it seems I'll get that back so whatever.

Theory is that it's actually a breach on the EA servers, that link into Live accounts. MS need to review that arrangement sharpish.

I don't even own FIFA12! Little bastards :)

Latest theory is it's some kind of phish or leak from an already compromised site. Any of you use the same password as Live elsewhere?

The accounts are being prepped for re-sale, which is why they're spending points on stuff like EA downloadable content.

A guy at work got his Xbox Live account hacked and IIRC had about £100 spent on it, currently going through the process to get his cash back I believe. He literally hadn't used the thing in years either.

Just logged into my account OK, and the credit card it's linked to has expired anyway, since I've binned off 360 gaming I'll just leave it like that I think - it's got a strong unique password on it too.

• 5 months later...

I was hacked around 11pm on Monday for £85 of MS points, contacted support at lunchtime on Tuesday, my account was restored by 6pm on Wednesday and the money was back in my account before 9.

Obviously I'm pretty pissed off with the whole thing but think it was dealt with quite well.

Archived