The Royal Family

Pierrot Lunaire

I dunno. There's a fawning programme, ostensibly on the Queen but seemingly trying to project the whole family as human and in touch with the rest of us on the telebox at the moment. However, all that free money, the best educations, privilege that can't even be imagined my me, and yet, they seem to be all morons. There isn't a single redeeming member of the family as far as I can tell. And the people who love them, of which I admit there seem to be loads, the types who camp in parks overnight to catch the merest impersonal glimpse of whichever member happens to be getting married and that? To witness the brief wave which I always had sussed as a big finger? Fucking mentals. No, really. I just can't get it. It's weird.

I don't mind the Royal family - given a choice I'd rather keep them than abolish them, but there are too many of them so can't we keep it to just the Queen and immediate heirs, ie Charles and William. All the rest can get jobs.

I'd rather have a monarch as head of state than someone like Tony Blair or David Cameron. Having the armed forces being loyal to the Queen, rather than the political leaders also acts as a bit of a safety mechanism. John Major always used the Queen for advice on foreign affairs (cue jokes about Edwina Currie) as she has a huge experience in the field.

I do agree with you on the people who travel to London just to catch a glimpse though. When princess Diana died I was working at Whiston hospital in Liverpool, and some of the nursing staff traveled down for the funeral just to buy an overpriced crappy bunch of flowers to leave outside to rot somewhere. Didn't really understand that.

all that free money,

What free money? The Royal Family receive constitutional grants totalling approximately £30 million a year, approximately half of which goes straight back in tax. They then get taxed 50% on their personal incomes, estimated to be over £100 million in tax a year.

Now, who gets free money?

Interesting subject to thread on, PL. It's the cultural-identity thingie. Queenie and Phil are ok but when it comes to the insane Charlie and his brothers, I suspect Liz has had her cringe-moments with the antics and out-pourings of the off-spring. They kinda tarnish the image and when Charlie talks of the plight of the poor he really has no idea how it is for the average 'commoner'. His business dealings related to the Duchy of Cornwall have more than once come in for criticism from the taxman and consumer groups. He should never be king.

Value for money? Not for us Manxies. Why on earth do we need her permanent representative, the beloved Lieutenant Governor; what are the advantages of his office to the Island? I'd be interested in discovering how much gets thrown in his direction.

Ah haaa the governor, he has written a letter of congratulation to the Queen on her 60 years on the throne from all of the people in the Isle Of Man, I am waiting for him to pop round with the card to get it signed. How ace would that be? A card signed by every person on the Island.

Ah haaa the governor, he has written a letter of congratulation to the Queen on her 60 years on the throne from all of the people in the Isle Of Man, I am waiting for him to pop round with the card to get it signed. How ace would that be? A card signed by every person on the Island.

I'll get my pen....

I'll get my pen....

I'll get my lighter.

all that free money,

What free money? The Royal Family receive constitutional grants totalling approximately £30 million a year, approximately half of which goes straight back in tax. They then get taxed 50% on their personal incomes, estimated to be over £100 million in tax a year.

Oooh High Net Worth Individuals

Allans gone all giddy

I don't mind the Royal family - given a choice I'd rather keep them than abolish them.

I'd rather have a monarch as head of state than someone like Tony Blair or David Cameron.

or Prescott, Mrs Kinnock or Cherie or some other person favoured by the political scallywags.

That said I wouldn't want the job .

all that free money,

Why do they get any money whatsoever? Do they not have enough to get by, why do they need the peasants/slaves to all chip in for them? The Queen is still head of the commonwealth, which is still a pretty sizeable chunk of land on this planet and don't give me any of the bull that the royal family is more ceremonial these days than anything else. Let's try and cut off the fawning and free money and we'll soon get a rude awakening and realise who is still top of the tree.

all that free money,

Why do they get any money whatsoever? Do they not have enough to get by, why do they need the peasants/slaves to all chip in for them? The Queen is still head of the commonwealth, which is still a pretty sizeable chunk of land on this planet and don't give me any of the bull that the royal family is more ceremonial these days than anything else. Let's try and cut off the fawning and free money and we'll soon get a rude awakening and realise who is still top of the tree.

They get paid to do various jobs, some ceremonial, some patriotic, some political. From that £15 million (after tax) they have to pay for staff, entertain foreign dignatories, travel to the four corners of the world on what is effectively government business.

If they did not get their payment and were "demoted", they would probably sod off to Monaco or somewhere, making hundreds of people unemployed and putting a £100,000,000+ hole in the UK's finances. I am sure they would love the break, but at the end of the day, that is a hell of a lot of tax for the "peasants/slaves" to pick up if they left.

Archived