Pc Is Crashing To Black Screen

Hey peeps,

after a couple of trouble free months with the new computer, it's now decided to start crashing. Basically it crashes, speakers buzzz, screen stops or go black and can't ctrl-alt-delete so i have to power it off ( which i'm not keen on doing ).

It started happening on Sunday ( when playing skyrim ), however it's now happening at random points even when i'm not gaming.

Here are the pc specs :

i5 quadcore processor, on a gigabyte GA-Z68P motherboard, with 8gig of DDR3 ram & a nvidia geforce GTX570

I've downloaded the drivers for the card again, and i've also restored the computer back a few days but the problem is still there.

I'm not overly worried but i'm not really that clued up on PC's so just wanted to get some help and advice from you guys.

Hopefully there's enough information there, but if you need anything else then just let me know.

Thanks in advance

Kym

Hey there.

Without knowing what the BSOD error message is, is pretty hard to identify or narrow down the problem.

Maybe is over heating?

Did you build the PC yourself?

Maybe the PSU is not up to the job (only if the previous question you answered YES)

Maybe the RAM has failed: Download Memtest86 - http://www.memtest.org/#downiso and either burn it to a CD or create a USB and run a test for a couple of hours and see if anything is failing.

Check hard drive for errors or maleware/spyware - run a scan of http://www.filehippo...s_anti_malware/ and see if something comes up.

I would do the following steps to make sure that drivers install cleanly:

1. Download http://www.filehippo...nload_ccleaner/ and clean your PC from junk files including the registry

2. Download the latest Nvidia drivers for your card and Windows OS (32 or 64 bit)

3. Uninstall the present Nvidia drivers and then run CCleaner

4. Don't reboot just yet. Download Drive Sweeper - http://phyxion.net/D.../Version-3-2-0/ - and either install it or run it from the binaries. Select your Nvidia graphics card and clean it

5. Reboot

6. Re-install the graphics drivers and reboot

7. Go to Intel website and download the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard - http://www.intel.com.../support/detect

8. Update all of the drivers from the Intel website and reboot

thanks for the responses, i'll give all those options a look at tonite and will report back.

it shouldn't be a heat issue as I had the machine built by the guys at cyber-power, but I will give eveything a good clean and double check everything is plugged in properly.

I did leave the machine on over night on Saturday, but it went into hibernation so surely it couldn't be that?!?!

thanks again

Hey peeps,

after a couple of trouble free months with the new computer, it's now decided to start crashing. Basically it crashes, speakers buzzz, screen stops or go black and can't ctrl-alt-delete so i have to power it off ( which i'm not keen on doing ).

It started happening on Sunday ( when playing skyrim ), however it's now happening at random points even when i'm not gaming.

Here are the pc specs :

i5 quadcore processor, on a gigabyte GA-Z68P motherboard, with 8gig of DDR3 ram & a nvidia geforce GTX570

I've downloaded the drivers for the card again, and i've also restored the computer back a few days but the problem is still there.

I'm not overly worried but i'm not really that clued up on PC's so just wanted to get some help and advice from you guys.

Hopefully there's enough information there, but if you need anything else then just let me know.

Thanks in advance

Kym

What sound card do you have; I had this problem and changed the sound settings in Skyrim - have a google and look in the skyrim forums.

I also switched off all hibernation options as this was causing other esoteric issues - ive the same cpu, GPU, MB as u

hmmmm that's interesting, as this problem did only start after the machine had been in hibernation overnight! I'll check some other forums and will try that as well!

Just for information here is the full spec of the computer...

CAS: CoolerMaster Elite 310 Mid Tower Gaming Case with see-thru side panel

CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+/-R/+/-RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE. (BLACK COLOR)

CPU: Intel® Core i5 2500K Quad Core 3.3GHz 6MB cache LGA1155 + HD Graphics ***Overclockable XXX***

CS_FAN: Default Case Fan

FAN: Asetek 510LC / Xtremegear Liquid Cooling system w/ 120mm Radiator (Asetek CPU Water Cooling ***Overclockable XXX***)

HDD: 1TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16M Cache Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive)

MEMORY: 8GB (4x2GB) PC10666 DDR3/1333mhz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)

MONITOR: 22" TFT Active Matrix LCD Display [+74] (22" (21.6" Viewable) Wide TFT Pannel Black 1920X1080 5ms, D-Sub, DVI)

MOPAD1: Razer Sphex Gaming Grade Desktop Mouse Pad [+12]

MOTHERBOARD: GigaByte GA-Z68P-DS3-B3 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ Intel Smart Response Technology & 7.1 Dolby Home Theater Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2x SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 3 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI ***Overclockable Safe & Stable***

NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT -- As standard on all PCs

OS: NONE - FORMAT HARD DRIVE ONLY(NO OVERCLOCKING AVALIABLE)

POWERSUPPLY: 850 Watts Power Supplies [+59] (Cyberpower 850watt High Performance Gaming Power Supply)

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX570 1280MB 16X PCI Express [+158] (Major Brand Power by NVIDIA)

WNC: PCI-E Wireless 802.11n 150Mbps Network Interface Card [+9]

again thanks for the info, the more the merrier as I'm using this a learning experience as I am a complete novice!

hmmmm that's interesting, as this problem did only start after the machine had been in hibernation overnight! I'll check some other forums and will try that as well!

Just for information here is the full spec of the computer...

CAS: CoolerMaster Elite 310 Mid Tower Gaming Case with see-thru side panel

CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+/-R/+/-RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE. (BLACK COLOR)

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5 2500K Quad Core 3.3GHz 6MB cache LGA1155 + HD Graphics ***Overclockable XXX***

CS_FAN: Default Case Fan

FAN: Asetek 510LC / Xtremegear Liquid Cooling system w/ 120mm Radiator (Asetek CPU Water Cooling ***Overclockable XXX***)

HDD: 1TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16M Cache Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive)

MEMORY: 8GB (4x2GB) PC10666 DDR3/1333mhz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)

MONITOR: 22" TFT Active Matrix LCD Display [+74] (22" (21.6" Viewable) Wide TFT Pannel Black 1920X1080 5ms, D-Sub, DVI)

MOPAD1: Razer Sphex™ Gaming Grade Desktop Mouse Pad [+12]

MOTHERBOARD: GigaByte GA-Z68P-DS3-B3 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ Intel Smart Response Technology & 7.1 Dolby Home Theater Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2x SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 3 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI ***Overclockable Safe & Stable***

NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT -- As standard on all PCs

OS: NONE - FORMAT HARD DRIVE ONLY(NO OVERCLOCKING AVALIABLE)

POWERSUPPLY: 850 Watts Power Supplies [+59] (Cyberpower 850watt High Performance Gaming Power Supply)

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX570 1280MB 16X PCI Express [+158] (Major Brand Power by NVIDIA)

WNC: PCI-E Wireless 802.11n 150Mbps Network Interface Card [+9]

again thanks for the info, the more the merrier as I'm using this a learning experience as I am a complete novice!

See http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=188440

OK so an update...

I ran a malware check, came up clean,reebooted, swept the Nvidia card, rebooted, installed new drivers, rebooted, checked sound, rebooted.

couldn't figure out memtest for the life of me, got it burnt onto a CD but it won't run??

anyways apart from memtest everything done, booted up BF3 ( rather than Skyrim ) and managed 3mins of gameplay before the game crashed to the desktop...which is a slight improvement as it's usually been crashing to a black screen.

if anyone can help me to figure out memtest and what I'm doing wrong i'll test the ram tonite, also what temp monitoring programmes would you recommend so i can check all this information out.

More frustrating than anything else, and from looking at the nvidia forums this problem isn't isolated to me ( which makes me feel a litte better ).

Thanks for all the help ( in advance ).

Sounds like a graphics card issue. Does it run OK until you 'stress' it with lots of gaming action? If so, it may well be overheating. I've had this happen but usually with a much lower spec card than you are using.

or PSU can't deliver enough power?

Just a few thoughts:

1. This is the PSU spec: A minimum 550W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 38A)
  2. Have you monitored the graphics card temperature?

Archived