Pc Is Crashing To Black Screen

I must have saved the memtest incorrectly onto the disc, as the computer isn't booting it at all...

my PSU is 850W so there should be plenty of power. what would you recommend to monitor the card temps ( i know at BIOS the temp was 24degrees ).

sorry for all the posts, and I really do thank you all for all your advice! thumbsup.gif

I must have saved the memtest incorrectly onto the disc, as the computer isn't booting it at all...

my PSU is 850W so there should be plenty of power. what would you recommend to monitor the card temps ( i know at BIOS the temp was 24degrees ).

sorry for all the posts, and I really do thank you all for all your advice! thumbsup.gif

OK so an update...

I ran a malware check, came up clean,reebooted, swept the Nvidia card, rebooted, installed new drivers, rebooted, checked sound, rebooted.

couldn't figure out memtest for the life of me, got it burnt onto a CD but it won't run??

anyways apart from memtest everything done, booted up BF3 ( rather than Skyrim ) and managed 3mins of gameplay before the game crashed to the desktop...which is a slight improvement as it's usually been crashing to a black screen.

if anyone can help me to figure out memtest and what I'm doing wrong i'll test the ram tonite, also what temp monitoring programmes would you recommend so i can check all this information out.

More frustrating than anything else, and from looking at the nvidia forums this problem isn't isolated to me ( which makes me feel a litte better ).

Thanks for all the help ( in advance ).

Are you running these games in full screen or windowed mode?

with regards to the memtest issue, i think you may have written the file to disk instead of writing the image to disk.

If you downloaded memtest as an iso then use something like infrarecorder (a brilliant piece of freeware burning software) and use the write image option.

This will create a bootable disk.

to monitor the gfx temps use nvidia's own Nvidia System monitor or a program like vtemp.

that's what I must have done, I'm running them full screen.

reading more and more forums the problem could well be on my mother-boards soundcard, so i'll try everything i've found tonite and will report back..

thanks again, great to know there's a good friendly community of PC users!

that's what I must have done, I'm running them full screen.

reading more and more forums the problem could well be on my mother-boards soundcard, so i'll try everything i've found tonite and will report back..

thanks again, great to know there's a good friendly community of PC users!

I've got a spare Xonar DG sound card (brand new) if you want to borrow that and try it out. If it works you can keep it for a couple of pints.

OK crisis averted, reinstalled my motherboard drivers, then swept my graphics card again, then installed some older drivers, also turned off the motherboards sound card.

All seems to be working now, can't play skyrim without a sound card but played an hour of bf3 with no problems or issues.

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice.

Archived