Greggs

thelegend

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

omg Greggs, this is great news! or maybe bad, now i will have it too often. best belgian buns, yum yums, doughnuts, sandwiches are amazing!

theyre bread it pretty good too but somethings should be supported locally. cant wait for Greggs!

Steak bakes & corned beef pasties yay ! Unfortunately I don't think we'll get greggs best product which is the stottie as they tend to try and stick with regional breads ie barms , morning rolls etc . Is/was there a traditional local bread roll on the island or has all of that type of thing disappeared since ramsey bakeries started churning out their efforts ?

Steak bakes & corned beef pasties yay ! Unfortunately I don't think we'll get greggs best product which is the stottie as they tend to try and stick with regional breads ie barms , morning rolls etc . Is/was there a traditional local bread roll on the island or has all of that type of thing disappeared since ramsey bakeries started churning out their efforts ?

I just about remember Ramsey before Ramsey Bakery, at least I do remember the old railway station when it was the best junk shop on the island smile.png

Anyway prior to RB I seem to remember barm cakes as being somewhat local. What I do clearly remember is buying excellent bread in Parliament street.

Good luck to anyone who annoys RB and their generally poor products.

Nosferatu: They're called Baps.

Good luck to anyone who annoys RB and their generally poor products.

Yeah, my comments here are really with the smaller places like Pat-A-Cake in mind, not the muck that RB peddle.

Winkles in Foxdale (with shops all over Island one was in in Drumgold Street) had all sorts of rolls and mini hovis type loaves, then there was Faraghers in Port St Mary, best rough wholemeal brown loaves ever. Not sure how "manx" the products were, but the flour was local.

“The Singing Postman” recorded a number “Oi Can’t Git a Noice Loaf of Bread” which some kind soul may care to link from You-Tube as I can’t be bothered.......

However.......

Greens at the Railway Station in Douglas now moved on baked some excellent wholemeal rolls and bread products in the traditional way using flour, salt and water naturally leavened with no added yeast and a very hot fast oven....

The result was nothing like the puffy product elsewhere and had this very firm naturally appetising texture...

I worked there in 1993 for a while......Surprisingly the flour came all the way from Marriages the Millers of Chelmsford Essex where I am from and am now returned unto ...do I hear the distant echo of many cheers?....Marriage are big landowners and millers in this area going back centuries......

Caleys in man road Onchan were one of the last family craft-bakers now long gone but I felt their stuff was made from mixes and to me not impressive?

Then there was Cannels on Broadway Douglas.

Their wholemeal loaf was not all that bad crumb and colour wise if eaten on the day but I think it went off a bit and lost the crust if plastic wrapped and bought from a corner shop where it had languished a while.

The flour I think was imported and not from Laxey Mills.

Cannels made many of their own pastries, cakes and fancies in the main although the ginger bread men were imported and then decorated...

I worked there for a while in 2000/2001 until they tried to dismiss me in contravention of my written terms and conditions of employment viz a viz notice and this cost them £1,000 following intervention by the Manx industrial relations service in Victory House!

Cannel’s some years back made headline news in the UK press and TV due to some dispute involving that other bakers/now snack shop further up Broadway on the right next to Kinrade’s pharmacy and the fishing tackle shop.....assuming all still there!

Just thought it was time for your afternoon nap!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Shortly after Barrie's last post - I just heard several muffled shots in Douglas - can posters in this thread please respond that they are ok?

"Bang! Bang! You're dead!....No! No! ....It's your turn to be dead this time.....

"I was dead last time....I'm always being dead!

"Why is it always me that's got to be a German?

"It's not fair.......& etc...

then there was Faraghers in Port St Mary, best rough wholemeal brown loaves ever. Not sure how "manx" the products were, but the flour was local.

oh yes, Faraghers! They knew their way around a sausage roll and no mistake.

“The Singing Postman” recorded a number “Oi Can’t Git a Noice Loaf of Bread” which some kind soul may care to link from You-Tube as I can’t be bothered.......

However.......

Greens at the Railway Station in Douglas now moved on baked some excellent wholemeal rolls and bread products in the traditional way using flour, salt and water naturally leavened with no added yeast and a very hot fast oven....

The result was nothing like the puffy product elsewhere and had this very firm naturally appetising texture...

I worked there in 1993 for a while......Surprisingly the flour came all the way from Marriages the Millers of Chelmsford Essex where I am from and am now returned unto ...do I hear the distant echo of many cheers?....Marriage are big landowners and millers in this area going back centuries......

Caleys in man road Onchan were one of the last family craft-bakers now long gone but I felt their stuff was made from mixes and to me not impressive?

Then there was Cannels on Broadway Douglas.

Their wholemeal loaf was not all that bad crumb and colour wise if eaten on the day but I think it went off a bit and lost the crust if plastic wrapped and bought from a corner shop where it had languished a while.

The flour I think was imported and not from Laxey Mills.

Cannels made many of their own pastries, cakes and fancies in the main although the ginger bread men were imported and then decorated...

I worked there for a while in 2000/2001 until they tried to dismiss me in contravention of my written terms and conditions of employment viz a viz notice and this cost them £1,000 following intervention by the Manx industrial relations service in Victory House!

Cannel’s some years back made headline news in the UK press and TV due to some dispute involving that other bakers/now snack shop further up Broadway on the right next to Kinrade’s pharmacy and the fishing tackle shop.....assuming all still there!

Just thought it was time for your afternoon nap!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Even though you say you worked for "Cannel's" on Broadway, I can't help thinking that it was Cain's Bakery that was on Broadway. I am of an age now when my memory lets me down sometimes, but I will never forget the best beef pies ever made and they were Cain's. ( and the best cheese pasties were without doubt Quirk's)thumbsup.gif

It was definitely Cannel's on Broadway Douglas next to the Happy Clappy Church...(With former Chippy on corner of Victoria Road now a Chinkie)...

There may well have been a bakery there before then called Cain's or was Cain's that one higher up as I said on the right next to Duke's Road on the corner now a snack shop last I was there???

That might have been Cain's at one time...The Cannel's I refer to also had Cannel's cafe in Duke Street Douglas and then that was sold and was something else...The family HQ was in Ramsey.....

Archived