Health And Safety Legislation Set To Be Scrapped

jim

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a hero Cretney seems to think he his. Though he is forgetting he is one of the daft fu**ers that brought it all in.

Cretney and Karran.

Two un-educated dunderheads at the top of the pile. At St. Mary's, Karran earned the nickname, "Daughners Watchdog" (Tom Daughn being the headmaster) for his prediliction for grassing on other kids. Cretney, on the other hand (as told to me by man in pub), failed the entrance exam for the Post Office to be a postman! How clever do you have to be to put one foot in front of the other?

When the revolution comes....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15919238

aren't they clever, but late to the party

28 November 2011 Last updated at 13:09

The government is launching a consultation on the abolition of "large numbers" of health and safety rules following an independent review.

.. when the UK legislation goes then there'll be nothing to copy

What a hero Cretney seems to think he his. Though he is forgetting he is one of the daft fu**ers that brought it all in.

Cretney and Karran.

Two un-educated dunderheads at the top of the pile. At St. Mary's, Karran earned the nickname, "Daughners Watchdog" (Tom Daughn being the headmaster) for his prediliction for grassing on other kids. Cretney, on the other hand (as told to me by man in pub), failed the entrance exam for the Post Office to be a postman! How clever do you have to be to put one foot in front of the other?

It was told to me that He was sacked from the post office for poor time keeping

If its lies I'm telling you ,its lies I've been told

Cretney and Karran.

I vaguely remember hearing that Cretney was known as "The Onchan Village Idiot" at school. Can anyone else confirm this?

Mind you the Island's not unique - didn't John Major fail the test to be a bus conductor?

Cretney and Karran.

I vaguely remember hearing that Cretney was known as "The Onchan Village Idiot" at school. Can anyone else confirm this?

Mind you the Island's not unique - didn't John Major fail the test to be a bus conductor?

He couldn't compete with Karran so left the village

Thanks for the BBC link english zloty.

I have to say, doing away with PAT testing is not a good idea. From the BBC link, one of the proposed deletions:

"Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 - at present, businesses are unnecessarily having appliances like microwaves and kettles testing annually"

OK, PAT testing is a pain in the arse to do, but in a commercial environment where appliances can tend to be abused, I would say a regular safety check is a must.

I have been involved in PAT testing in the past, and you do find appliances that could fail in a dangerous manner.

I have been involved in PAT testing in the past, and you do find appliances that could fail in a dangerous manner.

Bolloks, that is a prime example of unnecessary h+s, there are fuses, mcb's and rcd's to allow for dangerous failures. PAT testing is just another layer of bureaucracy that adds expense.

Bolloks, that is a prime example of unnecessary h+s, there are fuses, mcb's and rcd's to allow for dangerous failures. PAT testing is just another layer of bureaucracy that adds expense.

I disagree Jim.

It may seem like a pedantic paperwork exercise, but if it's done properly it does highlight potential dangers. Ok, I accept my experience has been in an industrial environment rather than an office. So maybe I have seen more potential dangers.

And it does not have to be expensive. You can do the course yourself in a few days and be qualified to test.

It adds very little expense if carried out in a sensible way, far too many people think health and safety and then think of Daily Mail articles that are twisted out of proportion and enforced by a jobs-worth (usually public sector) who does not understand the regs. Conker fights banned etc etc.

The people that shout the loudest against health and safety regulations are usually the sort of people who either dont understand them or just want to "get the job done" as quickly as possible for the maximum profit with little regard for their employees health or safety. When properly carried out, they lead to monetary savings for the employer.

Things like Method Statements and Risk Assessments, which are a legal requirement for an employer with more than 5 employees, are just what a normal supervisor or manager does in his head anyway. It is not hard to write that down on a bit of paper, it is just common sense.

DC may be trumpeting that he is getting rid of a load of "unnecessary regulations" but IOM company's will find that if the regs here differ much from the UKs regs, IOM company's will not be able to get Public and Employers Liability Insurance unless they comply with the UK regs so what is the point?

A bit of good press? This is the Bollocks bit.

The insurance company's have, and always will, drive health and safety compliance, its in the insurance company's interest and the employers too, when they do it properly.

I disagree Jim.

Sorry Jim, I do too. You cannot approach electrical safety by saying whatever happens the protective devices will save you.

Whilst not related directly to PAT, a non complete ring would not trip any devices under an overload condition for 2.5 mm² (well it would when the total current on either "spur" reached 32A!) but it could burn the house down as the absolute max from memory for 2.5 is 24A. This potential snag would be found by testing. A PAT example might be a disconnected earth on an appliance. Nothing would trip but given one or two other fault conditions, this could be fatal.

All electrical testing made obligatory since part P is good stuff and not over the top.

Archived