Bus Drivers Smoking On Empty Bus

studmuffin

As it says, I was suprised to see a bus driver pulling away from Douglas bus depot puffing away on an empty bus.

Fair do, it was empty, but could have been going to do a school pick up.

Presumably not allowed even though empty??

You would have done very well in the old Soviet Union.

Children were encouraged to spy on their parents.

Nark,

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't go on buses much, in fact ever, but I'd be more worried about the diesel fumes that they always (used to) smell of, rather than the odd fag smoked by the driver.

And I'm not worried about the diesel fumes.

It is illegal and should be reported to the police. £5000 fine.

It is harmless & should be ignored.

What a retarded thing to say

He's a civil servant, it's government property... He should be dismissed

With that big fat salary comes responsibility.

There isn't a problem if it is an empty bus. None whatsoever. If there is an issue of hypocrisy in the law then kick off about that. But the bus driver is just making a good opportunity to have a smoke when nobody is around. Does nobody any harm. May be breaking the law but nobody is breathing in the smoke.

So breaking the law is okay if no-one is around to see it?

Don't you realise just how many bank robbers and burglars would be on the dole if it wasn't?

I'd understand the fuss if the driver did it whilst having a load of kids on board, but christ, it was only a fag whilst nobody was on the bus. Yes, perhaps it is illegal - but so is dropping litter and not stopping for 3 seconds at a stop sign - I'm sure all of us done something like that at one point.

I understand the law is there for a reason and rightly so! However I still believe that the complete ban was wayyy over the top.

One more thing - Isn't it amazing how peoples attitudes on smoking have changed so much in such a short time. Up until the day Summerland closed (2004???), it was absolutely fine to smoke you head off right next to the children's play area, but now...

He is an employee, public or private matters not, and he should abide by the rules, ie no smoking in his workplace or work vehicle, even if he is on his own.

If you have a contract you are supposed to treat it as a number of rules that must be obeyed. But I don't think they should be given too much heed. And that's because of my recognition of the bargaining power of each party who come to agree employement terms.

It is definitely NOT harmless!

http://newscenter.lbl.gov/news-releases/2010/02/08/dangers-of-third-hand-smoke/

Nicotine in third-hand smoke, the residue from tobacco smoke that clings to virtually all surfaces long after a cigarette has been extinguished, reacts with the common indoor air pollutant nitrous acid to produce dangerous carcinogens. This new potential health hazard was revealed in a multi-institutional study led by researchers with the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab).

“The burning of tobacco releases nicotine in the form of a vapor that adsorbs strongly onto indoor surfaces, such as walls, floors, carpeting, drapes and furniture. Nicotine can persist on those materials for days, weeks and even months. Our study shows that when this residual nicotine reacts with ambient nitrous acid it forms carcinogenic tobacco-specific nitrosamines or TSNAs,” says Hugo Destaillats, a chemist with the Indoor Environment Department of Berkeley Lab’s Environmental Energy Technologies Division. “TSNAs are among the most broadly acting and potent carcinogens present in unburned tobacco and tobacco smoke.”

Since most vehicle engines emit some nitrous acid that can infiltrate the passenger compartments, tests were also conducted on surfaces inside the truck of a heavy smoker, including the surface of a stainless steel glove compartment. These measurements also showed substantial levels of TSNAs. In both cases, one of the major products found was a TSNA that is absent in freshly emitted tobacco smoke – the nitrosamine known as NNA. The potent carcinogens NNN and NNK were also formed in this reaction.

The study’s findings indicate that opening a window or deploying a fan to ventilate the room while a cigarette burns does NOT eliminate the hazard of third-hand smoke.

I'm sure the bus driver isn't aware of all this - nor are the taxi drivers I've seen sneaking a cigarette when they think no one's looking - so they shouldn't be either fired or fined for a first offence. They should, however, be given a severe warning that any further occurence will result in dismissal/fines.

Archived