Should This Person Take A Toothbrush To Court...

sirstabby

What is the law surrounding purchase of medicines and drugs on the internet from other countries. Were you to buy something like..blood pressure tablets or a diabetes tablets, which are prescription only drugs, then would you get into trouble if caught?

Prescription only drugs and controlled drugs are two different things. No crime in buying penicillin online, which in the UK is a prescription only drug, but dihydrocodeine, which in the UK is controlled, would be illegal. (And I know we're not in the UK, but IOM is the same, certainly in terms of OTC/PO/CD classification)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he was addicted to dihydrocodeine why not just keep going to his GP to get more and then undergo a weaning off program using other prescription drugs.

When I broke my arm years ago the feckers at the hospital gave me Tramadol with no warning of dependency or anything else and they gave me loads to begin with, I kept going back for more and was given more, no one asked why...in the end I tried to just stop taking them and no matter what I did to wear myself out during the day (some days I'd walk for 15 odd miles) I could not get to sleep as I would be going "cold turkey", so after seven weeks of no sleep and going insane I went to my GP and insisted on sleeping tablets (I forget which ones) she was reluctant at first until I stressed that I had a plan, that I knew my own body and that in lieu of any alternative given by any medical professional this was the route I was going to take...cut a long story short I did it within two weeks, completely free from Tramadol.

The reason I write this is that at times the medical profession hasn't got a f888ing clue what it's doing and we are subject to their incompetence and we are cast adrift to fend for ourselves when we are in a vulnerable position such as developing a dependency/addiction on prescription medicines. I hope this may help your friend, because to be quite frank regardless of the "I just want to help people" bulls**t there are some medical professionals that couldn't give a flying f**k about people they just love masquerading as demi-Gods.

Hopefully the legal profession will acknowledge this and understand that sometimes with the absence of medical help people become very desperate and self medicate, if there was more empathy then this may well not occur as much, but I doubt it as they are another Latin speaking entity whose origin is based on right but has now become so morally corrupt and overpaid has pretty much lost it's integrity (where else would you get paid vast sums of money for lying, arguing and being anally retentive) and I am aware of the paradox or circular reasoning as they also defend the innocent, but let's face it after the legal aid is done and dusted it's the bright lights of corporate law and therein lies a whole plethora of naughtiness.

Anyway, good luck to your mate he sounds like a person who was desperate rather than a menace to society.

My understanding is that all this has already been admitted because my friend was told that if it was admitted then they would be put on a drug rehab scheme as a first time-offender

It won't help your mate now, but if this offer was made by a police officer it was bullshit. The police do not have the power to negotiate any "deals", only the court can do that. If you're ever arrested you should say precisely jack shit to the police other than to confirm your name and address. Every other question should be met with a "no comment" regardless of whether you are guilty or not. Police interviews and questioning are stressful situations, and many innocent people end up blabbing out a lie/untruth by mistake which is later used against them. It's really not worth the risk of answering any questions. Wait til you've been presented with evidence etc, and have a lawyer to advise you.

My understanding is that all this has already been admitted because my friend was told that if it was admitted then they would be put on a drug rehab scheme as a first time-offender
It won't help your mate now, but if this offer was made by a police officer it was bullshit. The police do not have the power to negotiate any "deals", only the court can do that. If you're ever arrested you should say precisely jack shit to the police other than to confirm your name and address. Every other question should be met with a "no comment" regardless of whether you are guilty or not. Police interviews and questioning are stressful situations, and many innocent people end up blabbing out a lie/untruth by mistake which is later used against them. It's really not worth the risk of answering any questions. Wait til you've been presented with evidence etc, and have a lawyer to advise you.

This isn't correct in respect of the comment on police 'powers'. The Drug Arrest Referral Scheme is an alternate path to a court appearance. Dependent on circumstances this is available as a disposal to persons arrested for possession offences.

This isn't correct in respect of the comment on police 'powers'. The Drug Arrest Referral Scheme is an alternate path to a court appearance. Dependent on circumstances this is available as a disposal to persons arrested for possession offences.

Wasn't aware of that, though it seems like an odd entrance into that system if you have to confess to all the crimes to be considered. I assumed it was like any other "deal" (lessened sentence etc) which can only be given by a court.

Prescription only drugs and controlled drugs are two different things. No crime in buying penicillin online, which in the UK is a prescription only drug,

Even if you have no prescription, it is still legal to buy and use?

Yes. You can get penicillin over the counter in some European countries. Probably not particularly sensible to self-medicate with antibiotics unless you know what you're doing, but not illegal.

In answer to the original question he will be supplied with basic toiletries on induction but he can take his own if he wishes, they will be checked. Better start practising his scouse accent.

the feckers at the hospital gave me Tramadol with no warning of dependency or anything else and they gave me loads to begin with, I kept going back for more and was given more, no one asked why...in the end I tried to just stop taking them and no matter what I did to wear myself out during the day (some days I'd walk for 15 odd miles) I could not get to sleep as I would be going "cold turkey", so after seven weeks of no sleep and going insane....

Can sympathise with that.

I've been having tramadol for a few years steadily now for constant back pain, and the vast majority of the time it's fine - ie it eases the pain to make it mostly able to be ignored, doesn't generally make me feel bad or have any other particularly noticeable effects etc.

BUT, if I go out somewhere for the day and then find I've forgotten to take any with me it's a different matter. Sure I get worse pain from not having the pain relief it gives but it results in shocking cravings to have the 'overdue' dose, and just generally feeling pretty horrific all round really. Hard to describe but I really wouldn't wish it on anyone.

It's a bit saddening to know that I'm reliant on something like this, but on the plus side apart from occasions like that, it really does make things tolerable instead of miserable. Part of what annoys me though is the fact that after initially being given this medicine some years ago now, I googled it and found tons of horror stories of addiction to it. I mentioned this to my GP who assured me that it's fine and that sort of thing isn't really a risk (or words to that effect). Utter cadswallop, and I sort of suspected that was the case at the time but I was just glad to have something that made day to day life less painful, and largely still am glad.

But I dread the day when I might have to stop taking it for whatever reason, having had a taste of what that's like from time to time.

Archived