Inconsiderate Parking On Douglas Prom

StuartT

Pedestrians should pay road tax, have insurance and take tests before they're trusted to cross the road too.

Kids who don't ride bikes are skanks, and should be bullied at school. Even the monkeys in the PG tips adverts could ride bikes.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If cyclists want to ‘do their thing’ then for their own safety and even more so for the safety of other road users including pedestrians they should be over a minimum age – and I would suggest that age should be 14, they should pass a test and be issued with a licence that could be withdrawn, they should have to have third part insurance, they should have to display registration plates for the machine, and the machine should be subject to a yearly equivalent to an MOT test.

So using that logic, I would also assume that the same should be done with horseriding on the roads? (Don't know how you would sort out the reg plate though....?

Horses are more dangerous on the roads than cyclists.

I had basic training at school with the "Cycling Proficiency" test, it gave safety instructions on how to ride the bike, as well as how to do traffic signals.

This is still practised in schools today.

If cyclists want to ‘do their thing’ then for their own safety and even more so for the safety of other road users including pedestrians they should be over a minimum age – and I would suggest that age should be 14, they should pass a test and be issued with a licence that could be withdrawn, they should have to have third part insurance, they should have to display registration plates for the machine, and the machine should be subject to a yearly equivalent to an MOT test.

So using that logic, I would also assume that the same should be done with horseriding on the roads? (Don't know how you would sort out the reg plate though....?

Horses are more dangerous on the roads than cyclists.

I had basic training at school with the "Cycling Proficiency" test, it gave safety instructions on how to ride the bike, as well as how to do traffic signals.

This is still practised in schools today.

Putting aside my personal 'hand up's' regarding cyclists ---

Point #1 --- Horse riders should also be subject to being tested and licensed and having to have third party insurance. And round here it is not in the least uncommon to see a horse rider with a prominent and standard ‘L’ plate fixed vertically at the rear of the saddle.

Point #2 The cycling proficiency test, though good, is not compulsory which in my opinion it should be with a process similar to that involved in the licensing of motorcycle riders leading to the issue of a licence to ride a cycle without L plates. In any case riders under the age of (say) 14 should not be permitted on public roads at anytime.

Traffic has changed. Roads have changed. It’s time for cyclists to accept changes to keep them and other road users safe including licensing and the withdrawal of licenses in the event of serious misconduct. The form of motive power being muscular rather than mechanical should not excuse cyclists from being obliged to comply with the terms and conditions that apply to all other road users.

Perhaps a start could be made by actually teaching the Highway Code in schools - not just the rules etc., but the reasoning behind the rules?

Good God - you mean they've stopped doing that?

That was primary school stuff

They still do teach the highway code in schools, the cycling proficiency test is a very good example of how the schools are making children aware of how to use the road safely. Whether those kids go on to make use of that information is something the schools can't really insure.

Point #1 --- Horse riders should also be subject to being tested and licensed and having to have third party insurance.

there are tests that horseriders can do to know how to be safe on the road etc, but i don't think it's compulsory as i haven't done one, but my sister has as she's a regular horse rider and is out on the roads often.

most riders are insured (they are stupid to not be!), not sure whether it's third party or not :unsure:

Point #1 --- Horse riders should also be subject to being tested and licensed and having to have third party insurance.

there are tests that horseriders can do to know how to be safe on the road etc, but i don't think it's compulsory as i haven't done one, but my sister has as she's a regular horse rider and is out on the roads often.

most riders are insured (they are stupid to not be!), not sure whether it's third party or not :unsure:

E & L Insurance include a minimum of £1 million public liability insurance in their policies, as do Pet Plan.

In the same way, Cycleguard (for instance) give the same £1 million 3rd Party Cover included in their bicycle insurance.

Only difference is that horses, bicycles and their riders are not required by law to have insurance, AFAIK.

Licenced as well and pay tax to make use of the roads - roads intended for and paid for by motorists.
Actually I think you'll find that roads predated cars, so your 'intended for' statement isn't correct.

Taxing vehicles for the 'upkeep' of the roads would be more fitting, and we all know the damage that horses and cyclist do to the highways.

Besides... car tax, fuel tax, purchase tax etc. go into the kitty. They don't and never will be for the purpose of road maintenance pound for pound. Motorist are just an easy target that subsidise a number of Government expences.

Archived