Inconsiderate Parking On Douglas Prom

StuartT

Funny enough, I was thinking much the same about pedestrians. Its the people who wander out in the road (typically on the prom) and expect you to stop for them. What annoys me even more is when people do it while with kids, especially when they're a few metres from a proper crossing.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Funny enough, I was thinking much the same about pedestrians. Its the people who wander out in the road (typically on the prom) and expect you to stop for them.

That's where big 4x4s with bullbars come in handy - who said they're of no use in town? Kadoing... :wacko:

I have a real and genuine heartfelt hatred of adult cyclists.

(Kids on roads are simply a tatrget ---- really - I feel that bad)

Edited to tone my expression of a real and sincere hatred down a bit.

If you'd have swapped "opinionated" for "angry", and "fart" for "prick", then I'd have agreed with you.

:lol:

To be fair, the only person sounding like a prick around here is you Rog. Why you should think any of us really care about that pathetic chip on your shoulder about people riding pushbikes is beyond me.

With regard to the actual thread, I have to double park occassionally (delivering) on the Prom - wouldn't even cross my mind to worry about a cyclist getting his tyre stuck from my double parking. For starters, there's a perfectly good cycle lane on the walkway, why didn't you use that?

Shame you fell off and all Stu, but it's not some random van drivers fault, I mean as a cyclist surely you know the tram lines represent a hazard so why ride over them? Why not just dismount or something.

Suggesting they park in a sidelane - and if there's a fire or other emergency up the lane?

If you'd have swapped "opinionated" for "angry", and "fart" for "prick", then I'd have agreed with you.

To be fair, the only person sounding like a prick around here is you Rog. Why you should think any of us really care about that pathetic chip on your shoulder about people riding pushbikes is beyond me.

I can understand your point but I can;'t get the sight of my old mum out of my mind even though it is now many years since.

Put it down to me being wrong if you will, or maybe, just maybe, that cyclists are when it comes to using the roads inclined to be an incionsiderate shower of utter selfish bastards for thr most part.

We all of us can only 'call'em as we see 'em'.

Fair enough Rog, but you can't blame a whole shedload of different people for a single incident? If it had been a car would you then hate all car drivers? Doesn't make sense. Tis bad for the soul too ;)

MM - good point. But are you sure it's not an issue with mountain bike tyres? I've had trouble with the tramlines on my (thin-wheeled, but not that thin) motorbike. Not fallen off or owt, but a couple of hairy moments, 'specially in the wet!

Fair enough Rog, but you can't blame a whole shedload of different people for a single incident? If it had been a car would you then hate all car drivers? Doesn't make sense. Tis bad for the soul too ;)

Alex - you're right and in my heart I know it, but when you see your old Mum in pain and hear of how the piece of xxxxx involvred just turned an laughed and then nrode off --- well, it leaves scars.

With regard to the actual thread, I have to double park occassionally (delivering) on the Prom - wouldn't even cross my mind to worry about a cyclist getting his tyre stuck from my double parking. For starters, there's a perfectly good cycle lane on the walkway, why didn't you use that?

Shame you fell off and all Stu, but it's not some random van drivers fault, I mean as a cyclist surely you know the tram lines represent a hazard so why ride over them? Why not just dismount or something.

Suggesting they park in a sidelane - and if there's a fire or other emergency up the lane?

Alex, there isn't a fairly good cycle lane on the walkway at all. It isn't a proper cyclelane at all. Really there needs to be a reservation at the side of the road, not on a place where people were walking. Otherwise while travelling at speed you're a hazard to other people. It's maybe ok for kids, and families out for a leisurely ride, but when you're pushing yourself then it's not good at all, as often the pedestrians are scattered all over the walkway, and there's not a lot of room for 2 bikes to pass, and it's hard to slow down. Really though I have used the promenade 'cycleway' (a govt pretension IMHO), I'm better on the road (surface + tramlines permitting) and not posing as much of a risk to others.

I also walk a lot, so I see things from a pedestrians angle. I try and be considerate of other road users. If I saw an incident like Roq described, then I like most other cyclists would be really xxxxed off. These yobs (if the description of the incident is true) are not representative of us as a whole.

As regarding some sort of emergency, being double parked out on the road is a hazard to emergency vehicles - more so than being tucked up a lane. 99% of the time the emergency services use the front entrance anyway. And on those rare occasions they do have to get somewhere, and a car is parked in the way, then I hope the owner has insurance, cos they won't hesitate to shove it out of the way.

It wasn't really practical to dismount, I didn't realise the van was that close to them, till I actually hit them. As regards not being an issue for Mtn bike tyres, I've never had any problem with my Mtn bike on Douglas prom.

Archived