Inconsiderate Parking On Douglas Prom

StuartT

Really xxxxed off as I was out on my new racing bike today, and as I was going along Douglas prom, some inconsiderate person had parked their huge van outside of a row of cars which were already parked there. I had to go around, and as there was not enough room, I had to go wide, and over the tramlines. Now as you may know racing tyres and tram tracks do not mix (maybe if I was on my MTN bike I would have been OK), and as you may well imagine the result was me going over my handlebars at a good speed, and adding yet more grit rash and scars to the collection I'm building up on my legs (since starting cycling), and decorating the road with a liberal sprinkling of my own blood and skin.

I was sat outside forover 10 mins, sorting myself out, and fixing any problems on the bike resulting from the crash - fortunately no major permanent damage done to either, and no-one came out to the van.

Now OK I know it's hard to find a place to park on the prom, but if you're going to leave your van for a long time, then park up a sidelane or something - there were lanes very near by. Don't shove it well out in the road, creating a hazard for other users (especially if it's the size of the van in question). It's bang out of order. Supposing there had been a car or tram very close to me? Things could have been a lot worse. As it was fortunately the road was quiet, and I was able to pick myself and the bike up.

I'd also on a more positive note like to say thanks to all the people who stopped off to see if I was OK - especially the lady in the car coming the other way.

I don't suppose the person responsible will read this, but in future can people just try and exercise a bit more thought about other road users when parking in future please?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really xxxxed off as I was out on my new racing bike today, and as I was going along Douglas prom, some inconsiderate person had parked their huge van outside of a row of cars which were already parked there.  I had to go around, and as there was not enough room, I had to go wide, and over the tramlines.  Now as you may know racing tyres and tram tracks do not mix (maybe if I was on my MTN bike I would have been OK), and as you may well imagine the result was me going over my handlebars at a good speed, and adding yet more grit rash and scars to the collection I'm building up on my legs (since starting cycling), and decorating the road with a liberal sprinkling of my own blood and skin. 

I was sat outside forover 10 mins, sorting myself out, and fixing any problems on the bike resulting from the crash - fortunately no major permanent damage done to either, and no-one came out to the van.

Now OK I know it's hard to find a place to park on the prom, but if you're going to leave your van for a long time, then park up a sidelane or something - there were lanes very near by.  Don't shove it well out in the road, creating a hazard for other users (especially if it's the size of the van in question).  It's bang out of order.  Supposing there had been a car or tram very close to me?  Things could have been a lot worse.  As it was fortunately the road was quiet, and I was able to pick myself and the bike up.

I'd also on a more positive note like to say thanks to all the people who stopped off to see if I was OK - especially the lady in the car coming the other way.

I don't suppose the person responsible will read this, but in future can people just try and exercise a bit more thought about other road users when parking in future please?

When cyclists pay road tax and have insurance then moan. Untill then STFU.

Did you get the registration number of the van? If so you could report them for illegally parking.

Don't want to be that arsey, I would just like the person concerned to be a bit more considerate in future. Not just of cyclists, but of any other road users (cars and motor bikes would have to go around as well).

When cyclists pay road tax and have insurance then moan. Untill then STFU.

Some Cyclists do have insurance. Also I pay taxes which in part go to paying for the road I use. And cyclists who drive also pay road tax anyway, they're just using a different form of transport.

You don't pay Manx tax do you? You don't live over here? So STFU yourself, you have less entitlement to use a Manx road than I do, if we're working on a system which says who pays more has more entitlement.

That's a shame - I hope you, your bike and your pride are okay.

I'm trying to get me a bike at the moment but I fancy a mountain bike and getting off the beaten track a little (note a little!)

Rog, you are such prick when it comes to cyclists. What is your problem with them? (I joined this forum to comment on one of your earlier cycling rants and your juvenile behaviour towards them as you drive passed)

Just remember for every cyclist on the road there is one less car. Should give tossers like you the space you carve.

As Stuart says, unless you live here and make some kind of contribution butt out.

Wheeler (A member of Manx Viking Wheelers Cycling Club)

Rog, you are such prick when it comes to cyclists. What is your problem with them? (I joined this forum to comment on one of your earlier cycling rants and your juvenile behaviour towards them as you drive passed)

Just remember for every cyclist on the road there is one less car. Should give tossers like you the space you carve.

As Stuart says, unless you live here and make some kind of contribution butt out.

Wheeler (A member of Manx Viking Wheelers Cycling Club)

You may actually be right – I do have an absolute hatred of cyclists.

I detest the majority of cyclists and the manner in which they ride their machines. They have no compulsory third party liability insurance (and they should), they do not have to have registration ‘plates’ to allow them to be identified in the event of a hit and run or more often a cause accident and cycle off or a cause big scratch and cycle away or as happened many years ago run into an old lady, send her flying. Turn, laugh, and cycle away leaving her with a broken nose and a badly bruised face and a fear to go out alone that never left her for the rest of her life.

It happened to my old Mum on Governors Road in Onchan and after that I watched the general antics of cyclists and what I saw only reinforced the opinion that I then had – the majority are pricks.

If cyclists want to ‘do their thing’ then for their own safety and even more so for the safety of other road users including pedestrians they should be over a minimum age – and I would suggest that age should be 14, they should pass a test and be issued with a licence that could be withdrawn, they should have to have third part insurance, they should have to display registration plates for the machine, and the machine should be subject to a yearly equivalent to an MOT test.

Apart from anything else road transport today is unsuited to having pedal cycles mixed in with other traffic.

It sounds a bit like an Orwellian concept - 'two wheels good, four wheels better.' The truth is, though, that too many road users are inconsiderate of others and it really doesn't matter what kind of vehicle they drive/ride.

A little bit more patience, a greater degree of consideration for others and, perhaps, a better enforcement of the rules of the road, would do no harm.

Personally, as someone who spends a lot of time driving around the streets of Douglas, I find that more problems are caused by pedestrians than anyone else; e.g. people who don't know that a flashing green signal means they aren't supposed to step on the crossing.

Maybe pedestrians need to be licensed too!

Archived