Ipad Mini: Apple Launches New Smaller Tablet

And iPad 4, and new shiny iMacs.

The iPad mini will sell millions at £269

You can buy an ipad 2 for that at present!

not really the point is it? the idea is its smaller and more handy for on the move

What's actually improved other than the improved CPU and LTE support than no one needs? Has there ever been a time when you've been using the new Ipad and thought "It's just not quick enough, this CPU is really struggling"

it's typical Apple, release a new product which is barely an "upgrade" from the one before, and to make it even more of a slap in the face, they didn't even wait a year but released it just seven months after the previous one

Iphone 5 is another example, again barely an upgrade to the 4S yet it will still sell a bazillion no doubt. Ipad Mini, overpriced, supposed to be competing with the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 which are around £150? My wife has an Ipad and the number of websites that don't work is stonking.

What's actually improved other than the improved CPU and LTE support than no one needs? Has there ever been a time when you've been using the new Ipad and thought "It's just not quick enough, this CPU is really struggling"

This from the person who follows the bleeding edge of PC hardware? I have an older SandyBridge i5 and have never felt like it was struggling. But with out Apple pushing the hardware on Apps cant improve

it's typical Apple, release a new product which is barely an "upgrade" from the one before, and to make it even more of a slap in the face, they didn't even wait a year but released it just seven months after the previous one

Cant disagree there, although considering the rate Android tablets and phones are churned out this is hardly an Apple exclusive issue. Pushing to a late year release cycle for the iPad makes sense, as it was the iPad was a pretty disappointing christmas present as it was guaranteed that in a few months the new one would be out.

Iphone 5 is another example, again barely an upgrade to the 4S yet it will still sell a bazillion no doubt. Ipad Mini, overpriced, supposed to be competing with the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 which are around £150?My wife has an Ipad and the number of websites that don't work is stonking.

Really? maybe I'm doing it wrong but in 2 years I cant think of any websites I've come across that didn't work?

I bought the hexacore sandy as I had over 700 movies to encode and it was much quicker doing it on that and saved me time. Pc and mobile aren't the same market and consequently the necessity to upgrade is different. A new video card is usually a good 60% boost in performance over the previous model allowing you to play newer games at maximum details. A new CPU on the iPad will make almost no difference to a large percentage of the users.

Still, that won't stop the apple sheep hurrying to sell their iPad 3s to buy the newer, almost exactly the same product without really understanding why - just that they must have it because its apple and it must be amazing.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that tech needs to move on, but at least make your new product leaps ahead of the previous. I can't understand how the majority of apple fans don't seem to realise how much they are being creamed by things like this and the new dock etc

The new iPad is an obligatory upgrade to feature the new dock and no doubt iron out some of the "issues" from iPad 3 like the heating and battery charge time. Only the super needy will be upgrading. For everyone else, if you always waited to see what may be released, you'd never get anything. In its current form, the iPad is about as good as it can get from a hardware standpoint. Hopefully this upgrade will buy the development guys an extra 6 months to come up with something revolutionary again.

iPad mini will be popular but isn't competing with Kindle Fire. It can do everything a full sized iPad can do, but when the bespoke apps start to be developed, it will become a completely different product. If you are only interested in consumption and want the best product to do that on the move, iPad mini makes sense. My guess is that if you are the type of person to get the Kindle Fire as your only tablet, you're probably not an Apple target customer. If you love iPad but think it's too big, now there is something for you.

The new iPad is an obligatory upgrade to feature the new dock and no doubt iron out some of the "issues" from iPad 3 like the heating and battery charge time. Only the super needy will be upgrading. For everyone else, if you always waited to see what may be released, you'd never get anything. In its current form, the iPad is about as good as it can get from a hardware standpoint. Hopefully this upgrade will buy the development guys an extra 6 months to come up with something revolutionary again.

iPad mini will be popular but isn't competing with Kindle Fire. It can do everything a full sized iPad can do, but when the bespoke apps start to be developed, it will become a completely different product. If you are only interested in consumption and want the best product to do that on the move, iPad mini makes sense. My guess is that if you are the type of person to get the Kindle Fire as your only tablet, you're probably not an Apple target customer. If you love iPad but think it's too big, now there is something for you.

We have an Ipad at home here but i dont use it as i find it to big to hold. Just got the kindle fire hd and its far more usable and handy to hold, im really impressed with it.

Yeah it looks great and is excellent value. I think if I wanted something a bit smaller I'd go iPad mini but only as I love the Apple ecosystem and Facetime is a must now. Would you have got the mini if it was out when you bought the Fire?

Archived