Cairns On The Island

John

Hi,

I have just watched a youtube video on the standing stone of the Island. It was really good and made me decide to walk up to Cashtal ny Ard today and take some great pics in the snow.

There is a cairn featured in the programme, does anyone know where it is ? Its at 3min48 seconds

Cheers

John

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have just watched a youtube video on the standing stone of the Island. It was really good and made me decide to walk up to Cashtal ny Ard today and take some great pics in the snow.

These sites are located on ley lines. Cashtal Yn Ard is designed to show the summer and winter solstice.

I did notice the map, but would rather know roughly before I go walking about looking for it 8-)

I noticed on the Youtube channel some one had said about going there at the summer solstice, I might have to get up ealy later in the year.

The map beforehand shows it as being at the Devil's Elbow.

Correct -- it's in a field above the picnic area at the Devil's Elbow. There's a lovely view of Peel Castle.

Thankyou 8-)

Hi,

There is a cairn featured in the programme, does anyone know where it is ? Its at 3min48 seconds

Cheers

John

post-1223-0-30370000-1364158649_thumb.jpg

These sites are located on ley lines. Cashtal Yn Ard is designed to show the summer and winter solstice.

What sites? All neolithic burial sites? I haven't heard this before at all. How do they show it?

What sites? All neolithic burial sites? I haven't heard this before at all. How do they show it?

No, not all of them. Cashtal Yn Ard. If you go there at the solstice, the sun emerges between the gap in the stones. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the stones align with stars either. It's not as if they went to the effort of transporting these huge stones just to randomly place them for the hell of it. Then again, the view of the stars has presumably shifted since the neolithic era.

It's not as if they went to the effort of transporting these huge stones just to randomly place them for the hell of it.
Oh yeah, of course, there will be good reason why they have placed the stones there but placement might just a prominent land position or somewhere with a view of the sea, for example. I hadn't heard of this solstice thing. Do you mean the two large stones that formed the entrance to the burials chambers? Or the two higher stones further apart?

... I hadn't heard of this solstice thing. ..

many burial chambers are aligned so that the sun shines on interior at some special time (often winter solstice) - since we have no hard info re the neolithic belief system we make many assumptions but judging from several I looked at on Orkney + Shetland it would appear that the burial chamber has been carefully sighted to overlook but not always be visible from what is assumed to be the farmed land (tho coastal changes etc make this sometime difficult) and/or at boundaries of the land - what is 'buried' in the mound are the bones of many individuals - often split into components and giving impression that the corpse was left outside to be cleaned over. However the neolithic covers millenia and it is only to be expected that belief systems would change over this period.

Archived