Cairns On The Island

John

I emailed the chap who presented the video, he kindly emailed me back and confirmed the site, he did not publish the location, as its on private land ? Still I am heading out to Ballaugh tomorrow and so will see if I can pop up there on the way back, although there has been more snow forcast !

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you not see my googleearth map? That shows the exact location. Just follow that track up. Don't bother yourself about private land stuff. It's pastoral farmland usually kept for the cows for one thing.

So all round to your gaff for a mooch round your garden ?

What an idiot. There is quite a different between a small garden or yard around a household dwelling and the many acres of farmland that a farmer has. There is a difference and boils down to principles of what is deemed to be possession and then someone's privacy.

What an idiot. There is quite a different between a small garden or yard around a household dwelling and the many acres of farmland that a farmer has. There is a difference and boils down to principles of what is deemed to be possession and then someone's privacy.

In your opinion perhaps but not everyones, I would consider it polite to speak to the landowner prior to trespass if only to establish that it was OK and to learn if their was any potential danger to or from livestock by going onto private land.

How many acres of farmland exactly do I own?

When I am confronted by an angry farmer for strolling across his land, I will keep your explanation in mind 8-)

If the farmer was bothered about people visiting the monument, he would have built a fence by now.

People have been walking up and visiting the site since the bloody Neolithic era. lol.

In your opinion perhaps but not everyones, I would consider it polite to speak to the landowner prior to trespass if only to establish that it was OK and to learn if their was any potential danger to or from livestock by going onto private land.

Oh yes, in my opinion and according to my politics. If I thought someone had legitimate claim to tell me where I can and cannot go then I would agree. I don't think they do so. (Livestock? Well you can only do harm if you frighten cows that are giving birth, I believe. And would only come to harm from bulls really. But common sense dictates where to go or not).

Oh yes, in my opinion and according to my politics. If I thought someone had legitimate claim to tell me where I can and cannot go then I would agree. I don't think they do so. (Livestock? Well you can only do harm if you frighten cows that are giving birth, I believe. And would only come to harm from bulls really. But common sense dictates where to go or not).

So nobody has a" legitimate claim to tell you where you can and cannot go" while you reserve the right to your "privacy" and deprive others of access to your land ?

According to you anyone who disagrees with you is "an idiot" or "silly".

Do you think people take you seriously?

And would only come to harm from bulls really.

A cow will protect her calf - it's not uncommon for people to be attacked and even killed by a herd of cows in a field with their young.

To be fair, I recall you saying many moons ago it was ok to steal, so trespass should be acceptable?

Although Mr J is pretty right I suppose, its probably not that well known, so not frequented that often and I am sure there is a right to access it somewhere.

So nobody has a" legitimate claim to tell you where you can and cannot go" while you reserve the right to your "privacy" and deprive others of access to your land ?

Nobody? Who said anything about 'nobody'? If someone can make a good claim for why they have a claim of absolute control over land then I would want to hear it and evaluate it to work out whether it is justified. And that would be and should be how all authorities and claims are tested and challenged.

And I do reserve the right to my privacy and we all should. Nobody is being deprived by access to my garden or my home.

According to you anyone who disagrees with you is "an idiot" or "silly".
Don't be silly you idiot. Only those who think they are being clever by making some silly comment about going in my garden, as if they have found a flaw in my thinking that I could not possibly have thought about it. Either you think I am lot more stupid than I really am or you are too stupid for me to be having an argument with. And I have explained all this time and time again and why I have little patience for numbskull comments where something thinks that it means that everything that is technically my property is free for everyone to have. If you want to read about it, I can find you sources.
Do you think people take you seriously?
If they are more like you than me then I think it is down to familiarity of the subject area. You don't understand how I be anti-private property or you wouldn't be saying something as ignorance as coming into my garden and thinking that I am reserving some selfish right for myself alone.

It is on private land and the farmer does keep a bull in that field.

Had a word with a friend who knows about this sort of thing.

As I hear it they don't like visitors.Though a simple sign on the gate would deter most so likely not such a problem if the visitors are few and sporadic.

Given that farmers particularly round that area are having a tough time right now with the snow. Probably best laving a visit for a few weeks.

Archived