Yamaha Flute Found.

jim

Can I ask a stupid question?

Is a Yamaha flute a musical instrument or part of a motorbike?

FFS - between you and Monkey boy my laptop is covered in beer - note to self don't read MF whilst drinking!

(btw its an instrument biggrin.png )

You do play an instrument TJ, don't be so modest, by the content of your posts I would have you down as playing your organ quite a lot

Now that you mention it, I can play Dvorak's New World Symphony. I just wish I could remember that song he did which I love but don't know the name to. They featured the song in a Sherlock Holmes computer game. Anyone know what I mean? It's only about a minute or two long, but it has a very Victorian-ish melody to it...

Mf proving themselves to be ill informed yet again, yes it's a musical instrument it's made by Yamaha who also happen to make bikes look at their symbol 3 tuning forks, 'cos they're musical init.

I've always wanted to play a musical instrument but just don't have the self-discipline. It's not as easy as it looks.

If you have an hour a day you can play anything, does not all have to be at once either. Just half an hour here, half an hour there, there is no discipline required when you're having a great time which, I do. I love scales, once you get the circle of 5ths sorted the rest is all quite fun to work out and play with...If Will Cowley could hear me now he'd be amazed, she who will not practice loves scales. Having a good teacher really helps - if you want to learn guitar, bass, sax, or clarinet (probably many others too) give Jon Sanders a try, he's ace.

I've always wanted to play a musical instrument but just don't have the self-discipline. It's not as easy as it looks.

If you have an hour a day you can play anything, does not all have to be at once either. Just half an hour here, half an hour there, there is no discipline required when you're having a great time which, I do. I love scales, once you get the circle of 5ths sorted the rest is all quite fun to work out and play with...If Will Cowley could hear me now he'd be amazed, she who will not practice loves scales. Having a good teacher really helps - if you want to learn guitar, bass, sax, or clarinet (probably many others too) give Jon Sanders a try, he's ace.

Thanks for the recommendation.

What I found difficult was trying to figure out how to read music -- just couldn't seem to wrap my head around it so gave up.

The spaces on the treble clef spell face and the lines are "'E'very 'G'ood 'B'ird 'D'eserves 'F'ood" - I still get a bit conflummouxed above and below the stave but music generally flows so it's not majorly important because after playing a piece a couple of times you get to know what is coming next, playing major scales on a piano would help you learn to read music. Failing that you could always just improvise :)

What I found difficult was trying to figure out how to read music -- just couldn't seem to wrap my head around it so gave up.

I too struggle with that - I play by ear, so never really needed to read music in my early days.

One key point, that I only realised a couple of years ago, is that the bass and treble clef represents a continuous stave, with middle C on the ledger line between them. You can then think of music as a graph of pitch (on the y axis) against time (on the x axis). Once you know your scales, and recognise the key signatures, you'll be away. But you still need to practice, as Bees says.

Archived