Yamaha Flute Found.

jim

What I found difficult was trying to figure out how to read music -- just couldn't seem to wrap my head around it so gave up.

I too struggle with that - I play by ear, so never really needed to read music in my early days.

One key point, that I only realised a couple of years ago, is that the bass and treble clef represents a continuous stave, with middle C on the ledger line between them. You can then think of music as a graph of pitch (on the y axis) against time (on the x axis). Once you know your scales, and recognise the key signatures, you'll be away. But you still need to practice, as Bees says.

I tried to understand that, but you lost me at "treble clef" and "continuous stave". blink.png

I tried to understand that, but you lost me at "treble clef" and "continuous stave". blink.png

It does make sense, look at a bit of piano music, the top set of notes is treble, bottom bass (clef is the sign & staves are the lines) if they were together they would span 2 octaves (8 successive notes).

It does make sense, look at a bit of piano music, the top set of notes is treble, bottom bass (clef is the sign & staves are the lines) if they were together they would span 2 octaves (8 successive notes).

Not really. Low G bass clef to high F treble clef is 2 octaves and 10 semitones. So very nearly 3 octaves.

For Traditional Irish music there's no need to learn notation - it's mainly taught by the ABC method and has produced many exceptional musicians. Even classical music has been transcribed into ABC (advanced version). The main requirements for learning any instrument are motivation and practice :)

Archived