Save Our Mercury Arc Rectifiers

jim

It is one of the few things that brings in the tourist, if properly featured. To my mind we should be restoring and replacing some of what has been lost.

Nah. You're not going to get more tourists over because of stuff like this.

I think you'd be surprised how many people come to the island because of our heritage transportation systems.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is one of the few things that brings in the tourist, if properly featured. To my mind we should be restoring and replacing some of what has been lost.

Nah. You're not going to get more tourists over because of stuff like this.

I think you'd be surprised how many people come to the island because of our heritage transportation systems.

It had to happen! ..........TJ I agree with you !! biggrin.png I'm just "an old boy on a bike" and when we have visitors over the trams,trains and vintage transport etc are top of the list .

But that wasn't what LDV was saying was it? He said you wouldn't get any more visitors over. We already get all the visitors over who are interested in our vintage transport and industrial archaeology infrastructure. How many more are going to come to look at mercury arc rectifiers then look at conservation costs and on going running, staffing and maintenance costs and see if it adds up

But that wasn't what LDV was saying was it? He said you wouldn't get any more visitors over. We already get all the visitors over who are interested in our vintage transport and industrial archaeology infrastructure. How many more are going to come to look at mercury arc rectifiers then look at conservation costs and on going running, staffing and maintenance costs and see if it adds up

None. I'm interested in this stuff but wouldn't come over just for the rectifiers.

Well, with all due respect, I disagree with LDV. Given the small scope of what we actually have in terms of heritage transportation, and given the very limited amount of advertising which has actually gone into promoting it, I think an ample mixture of increased features on the island and increased advertisement could bring in a lot more visitors. People say it's a niche market but it's a quite big niche market --- there's certainly a lot more demand out there that we can tap into. The same can be said of the rest of our heritage. It just doesn't get the advertisement. Isle of Man Tourism not too long ago wasted money on a TV advertisement which featured a bunch of rocks on the coast and some halfwits jumping into the sea --- none of which anybody is remotely interested in. Imagine if they'd used those 30 seconds or however long it was to really show off the island's heritage and beautiful scenery. But no, all they did was show a bunch of rocks by the sea on a cloudy day.

None. I'm interested in this stuff but wouldn't come over just for the rectifiers.

We don't want you to come here. However, that being said, nobody is talking about some lousy rectifiers encouraging more visitors. I was talking about the heritage transportation as a whole. For example, we could restore more railway lines or even build new ones.

I was talking about the heritage transportation as a whole. For example, we could restore more railway lines or even build new ones.

And what would you use for money? Zillions have been thrown at tourism by fools in the past.

I was talking about the heritage transportation as a whole. For example, we could restore more railway lines or even build new ones.

And what would you use for money? Zillions have been thrown at tourism by fools in the past.

I agree --- we can't afford to do that.

But we can afford to preserve and more wisely advertise what we've already got.

I'm embarrassed as a Manxman to see us place this sort of technology on some sort of pedestal, it's akin to sticking a zx81 in the museum while neglecting current and future development of people. Bin the flippin things and do something useful!

I'm embarrassed as a Manxman to see us place this sort of technology on some sort of pedestal, it's akin to sticking a zx81 in the museum while neglecting current and future development of people. Bin the flippin things and do something useful!

I agree. As a Manxman, I am also ashamed to see us hold places like Castle Rushen, Peel Castle, Laxey Wheel and other such relics from the past on a pedestal; it's high time we knocked them down and replaced with with trendy modern cube-shaped glass buildings. And what are all these neolithic monuments doing around the countryside? Time to knock them down too and replace them with some modern art.

:) but really, how much educational value is there in something like that, or a horse-drawn tram for that matter. Castles are different, they're ancient and have embedded themselves into the surroundings so the particular age is almost irrelevant, late 19th/early 20th century technology isn't of much value I think, what about lead-added petrol engines, paddle steamers? It's been replaced for a good reason and castles likewise haven't been replaced for equally good reasons.

Archived